Assembled in St. Kitts ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
IMAG0318web.jpg

I've got a client that has Divas throughout the house. They were all installed new about ten years ago by the previous owner's contractor. In the last two years I've replaced seven of them, all having had the rocker plate pivot plastic crack and fall away, thus not allowing the rocker plate to hold the microswitch depressed.

Have others seen this in the field?

Buck Parrish

Oh, was their any evidence of heating. If so you know the risk.
Sounds like they got a bad batch.

On a side note, I had ordered 50 of the lutron smart dimmers. The kind that don't need travlers for a three way.

They we're in a box to be installed. One of my guys ran over the box with the van. Not one survived the impact. Lot's of $$$. Oh well

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Oh, was their any evidence of heating.
Nope. Everything seems sized correctly, even with fin removal.

So I doubt there's any more heat than that of normal operation.

There are also inexplicable old shollow cracks on the rocker paddle that don't go all the way through the paddle.

IMAG0321web.jpg

Last edited:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have never seen the cracking before but have seen a number of the "rocker plates" fail. I just replace the plate instead of the entire dimmer. I usually have a few defective dimmers laying around I can steal the plate from but Lutron has sent me replacement plates no charge in the past.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have some Divas in my house. Several are 15 years old. My friends have them too. I replace about 1 or 2 a year in their house. Seems that their kids love to pound on the rocker portion and are always breaking them. IMO they're not very durable. Never noticed the St. Kitts thing.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
. . . Lutron has sent me replacement plates no charge in the past.
Thanks for that, Curt.

I just got off the phone with tech support at Lutron and the person said they are still doing that.

I've got to get a count of the visibly distressed "vesels" (rocker plates, as I call 'em) over at my client's and I'll give this a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.