solenoid tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

I need to get a good solenoid tester.
I was looking at purchasing the T+pro from fluke.
From what i read, i believe this is a real solenoid tester.
Would that be a good buy?

I was lokking at the Fluke T5-600, but i understand that is not a true solenoid, but a low impedance tester, is this correct?
i already have a fluke amp meter and a fluke 117 with the Low Z feature, so i'd like to get a good wiggy tester.

What you all think?

quogueelectric

Would that be a good buy?

I was lokking at the Fluke T5-600, but i understand that is not a true solenoid, but a low impedance tester, is this correct?
i already have a fluke amp meter and a fluke 117 with the Low Z feature, so i'd like to get a good wiggy tester.

What you all think?
The t5-600 is a great testor but its most glaring drawback is that the ohms scale is very limitted and is not a true ohmeter as its range is very narrow and cannot be used to read fa system resistors. Other than that I love the meter.

macmikeman

Fluke T5- 600 is that the one with the slot for checking amps. I have one of those style Flukes and they are great for certain things, but they are most definitely not a solenoid tester. Each is great for what it is great for.
I would not get near control wiring on process machinery any more with a solenoid as the Fluke does this better and safer. However the Fluke will give voltage readings (phantom) and the solenoid either sees real voltage on the line or it doesn't buzz and move the dial. That is better for resi troubleshooting. A good sparky will utilize at least one of each style.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It is not a solenoid tester. It's a replacement for a solenoid tester, but as far as I know it is still a high-impedance tester, just like a DMM.

It is a high impedance tester, just like another other DMM.

What you all think?
I carry a Vol-Con solenoid tester on my bags, it is my first choice for a meter to beat around.

macmikeman

I prefer the Knopp brand. I have ruined at least a dozen of them from ladder dropping. I try not to do that these days, Knopp testers are getting pricy. I used to have an Ideal one with the built in continuity tester and that was nice but it was too bulky for my taste.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I carry a Vol-Con solenoid tester on my bags, it is my first choice for a meter to beat around.

Same here. Vol-Cons are tough and cheap and I like the fact that you can check continuity and voltage without so much as flipping a switch.

I still would like to see the Vol-Cons equipped with a digital voltage read out so we can get a more precise reading under the load of the solenoid.

I can't find this value for the Fluke T+pro, Has anybody know it?

All I could find is that the test current is "<5 ma". I do see that the rated duty cycle is 100% for up to 240v and 10% for above, which suggests that they do draw some power that has to be dissipated.

BTW (answering someone else), neither the T+ or the T+pro are solenoid testers, they're both electronic.

wptski

I read on the knopp website that the K60 has an input impedance of 4,000 Ohms.

I can't find this value for the Fluke T+pro, Has anybody know it?
The input resistance of the T+ and T+PRO is 20 kohms at low voltages and goes up to about 240 kohms when 600 volts is applied.

Charlie Bob

The input resistance of the T+ and T+PRO is 20 kohms at low voltages and goes up to about 240 kohms when 600 volts is applied.

Thanks, where did you find that? I check the specs and didn't see it , I may have missed it.
I guess if 20 kohms it is, then the knopp k60 got it beat for phantom voltage with the 4kohm input impedance.

knoppdude

I carry both the fluke t51000, and knopp solenoid tester. I have also encountered situations where the t5 picked up induced voltages, so I use both. I tried the new fluke tester that simulated the solenoid tester, but could not get used to it. As far as versatility, the t5 is worth its weight in gold, and is a very good tester to carry, in my opinion.

Charlie Bob

BTW (answering someone else), neither the T+ or the T+pro are solenoid testers, they're both electronic.[/QUOTE]

I read that the T+pro measures voltages even without batteries.
Wouldn't have to be a solenoid tester inorder to do that?

wptski

Thanks, where did you find that? I check the specs and didn't see it , I may have missed it.
I guess if 20 kohms it is, then the knopp k60 got it beat for phantom voltage with the 4kohm input impedance.
I asked the same question in Fluke's Forum and Tech Support replied. There's one of the Ideal testers, I forget which one that claims to eliminate ghost voltage with 1M impedance!:confused:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I prefer the Knopp brand. I have ruined at least a dozen of them from ladder dropping. I try not to do that these days, Knopp testers are getting pricy.
I like them, too, and they're CAT-III rated now. I've never broken one, although I have had to solder one of the leads back inside the probe handle once.

If I need to know exact voltage, I use a voltmeter. Two different testers for two different kinds of testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.