Receptacle Load for an Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all, I took the ME test in Colorado.

There was a question on the test, which I couldn?t find the answer to. Multiple Choice.
The question was something like this:

What is the minimum branch circuit receptacle load for an office;
A: 3VA
B: 2 VA
C: 3 1/2
D: 4

I thought it would be based on 220.14 (K), in my past experience.
I answered A, thinking they had phrased the question wrong.

220.14 (K) : In banks or office buildings, the receptacle loads shall be calculated to be larger than of (1) or (2)
1... The calculated load from 220.14 (I) ....(180V)
2... 11 va/msq or 1 va/per ft

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think the correct answer is one of the answer choices and I think the question was not written very well, hard to understand exactly what they are asking.

I think they are asking what is the minimum calculated load for a receptacle circuit in an office building.

My answer is a circuit with only one receptacle is likely to give you the smallest possible load which must be calculated to at least 180VA according to 220.14(I).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree the correct answer to the question as worded is not there.
If the info is correct, I would answer (c) as 3-1/2 is the correct number for office lighting (outlets)

The exam was through Pearson VUE.
Reading through the exam information says that 10 questions will not be graded.

Thanks for the input.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
my answer is 3.5 reading the chart 220.12:)
That chart is for general lighting, not specifically for receptacles.

It is worth noting that the question, at least as it is shown in Post #1 above, does not talk about VA per square foot. The table does, and 220.14(K) does.

erickench

This question was not worded properly. I found quite a few questions like this in the ICC's Electrical Plans Examiner online course. To avoid being marked wrong I would go ahead and give 'C' 3 1/2 VA as my answer. I know it's annoying and they should've written it properly, but these things do happen.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.