solenoid tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

The input resistance of the T+ and T+PRO is 20 kohms at low voltages and goes up to about 240 kohms when 600 volts is applied.
Three quick measurements on my T+PRO:
18.7 volts, 1.7 mA, => 11.0 kΩ
125.4 volts, 2.9 mA, => 43.2 kΩ
249.5 volts, 3.5 mA, => 71.3 kΩ

wptski

Three quick measurements on my T+PRO:
18.7 volts, 1.7 mA, => 11.0 kΩ
125.4 volts, 2.9 mA, => 43.2 kΩ
249.5 volts, 3.5 mA, => 71.3 kΩ
You have to take that up with Fluke but that's the answer they gave back in 4/07, right after the T+/T+ Pro was released.

There was a upgrade shortly after its release concerning the GFCI testing current on the T+ Pro. The orginal units drew 25ma instead of listed 6-9ma. I returned mine for the upgrade/replacement or whateve they did.

mivey

You have to take that up with Fluke but that's the answer they gave back in 4/07, right after the T+/T+ Pro was released.
I did not mean it to dispute you. Just comparing a canned manufacturer response to actual data. A schematic would be nice.

To me, the extra functions available on the T+PRO make it handier than a simple solenoid tester. Either way, I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

wptski

I did not mean it to dispute you. Just comparing a canned manufacturer response to actual data. A schematic would be nice.

To me, the extra functions available on the T+PRO make it handier than a simple solenoid tester. Either way, I ain't afraid of no ghosts.
I didn't take it that way. Handier and safer than a solenoid tester I think. I like the way it will switch to continuity if no voltage is present.

mivey

I didn't take it that way. Handier and safer than a solenoid tester I think. I like the way it will switch to continuity if no voltage is present.
And while the Knopp only has a measly CAT-III rating, the T+PRO has a CAT-IV rating.:grin:

In addition to additional fuctions, the solid state meter:
reads lower voltages
doesn't tend to over-load some circuits with excessive current
has less heating issues than the others
can measure under 240v indefinately
doesn't have the arc-flash hazards of the others
doesn't carry the lethal currents through a device in your hand like the others.

wptski

And while the Knopp only has a measly CAT-III rating, the T+PRO has a CAT-IV rating.:grin:

In addition to additional fuctions, the solid state meter:
reads lower voltages
doesn't tend to over-load some circuits with excessive current
has less heating issues than the others
can measure under 240v indefinately
doesn't have the arc-flash hazards of the others
doesn't carry the lethal currents through a device in your hand like the others.
I wonder what exactly makes the Knopp K60 CAT-III now but not before? I just emailed them, see if I get a answer?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wonder what exactly makes the Knopp K60 CAT-III now but not before? I just emailed them, see if I get a answer?
I've even wondered about that here, whether a change was needed, or if it was qualified for that rating all along.

wptski

The following is the reply that I received from Knoop asking what changes were made in the K-60 that made it CAT-III now.

We had to make a few minor internal changes that involved component spacing, insulating sleeving, etc., in order for UL to approve the K-60 as a CAT III instrument. The only change visible to the user is the label. I hope this answers your question.

I replied asking if any parts were added and the reply was "none".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds like they merely took steps to assure no internal arcing, but the components were already adequate. Works for me!

Thanx, Bill! :)

Plus, it makes me even more confident to continue using my pre-CAT-III K-60's. I do use the new one for anything above 277.

Status
Not open for further replies.