Two or more rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

easymoney

If you have two or more ground rods, Do you bring each condutor back to a commmon point or do you connect them together in series and just bring on connection back?:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you have two or more ground rods, Do you bring each condutor back to a commmon point or do you connect them together in series and just bring on connection back?:
IMO, it is easier to come out once and run the conductor long enough to loop to each rod. You can go to one rod then use a bonding jumper to the next rod but that uses 3 clamps and more room for error. :)

But as Bob said either way will work.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We are required by the power company to run a continuese ground conductor from rod #1 to rod#2.

Is that written in their terms of service or just what they expect?

Seems rather silly since the NEC does not require it. Here's one way to do it:

1113920706_2.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Bobo's method does save one clamp (and about 2" of wire), though. :cool:

I once ran the #6 wire from rod to disco to disco to rod on a 320/400a.

boboelectric

The inspector,here does service inspections by the power company's book.

Their drawings show 1 #6 egc,through 2 rods,continoues

Still no conecction to meter,"not accesable" Defeating the purpose of grounding/bonding.

boboelectric

I just look at ground rods as lightning safeguards.

If you have a strike, it travels to the panel bond,then to the e,g.c. to the rod set.outside,again.

Rather than the meter bonded to the neutral,egc to rods.More direct. Why make lightning come into your service?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Rather than the meter bonded to the neutral,egc to rods.More direct. Why make lightning come into your service?

I'm not quite sure what you are saying but, I agree the meter is the best location to land the GEC and bond to the neutral and here in the deep south it is the way we do it many times.

My question was, how does anyone figure the meter can is inaccessible and even if it were, how does that defeat the purpose of grounding.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.