Smoke detector Interconnection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey anyone know what year either Electrical code or other code required smoke detectors to be interconnected in SF dwelling?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Funny I would have bet money on it that it was earlier say 1993 or so. I remember local AHJ requiring it on jobs in the mid to late 90's. I am finding new homes built in 2003-5 that do not have interconnection

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Bad.....very bad. Obviously work done without an inspection as it is very easy to see the red wire, if 14-3 was used and any other way to wire them would be topic for another thread, as to why?

newservice

1989 nfpa 74 required interconnect one on each level in new sf homes. 1993 NFPA 74 then also required one in each bedroom and outside each sleeping area. Then in 1996 they added that the detectors must be battery backup. Myself I also prefer to connect the smoke circuit with a prominent lighting circuit, so if the flip off the breaker they will be missing the lights.

jetlag

This is a building code issue and not an NEC one. I have no idea when the interconnection was required. My bet is the 90's

Had inspector flag me for not interconnecting fire alarms on both sides of a duplex apartment . He said if there is fire on one side the other tennent needs to know. I said fine, which side do you want to supply the power, the one that has no service now or the other one. He stomped off mad and said leave it like it is.

Had inspector flag me for not interconnecting fire alarms on both sides of a duplex apartment . He said if there is fire on one side the other tennent needs to know. I said fine, which side do you want to supply the power, the one that has no service now or the other one. He stomped off mad and said leave it like it is.

I'm not sure but would NEC 2008 210.25 A and B have anything to do with that?? If they connect to a 'central alarm, or signal communications. If not, then maybe this article doesn't apply.

jetlag

Thanks brother

Thanks brother

I'm not sure but would NEC 2008 210.25 A and B have anything to do with that?? If they connect to a 'central alarm, or signal communications. If not, then maybe this article doesn't apply.

That is perfect and needs to be sent to that inspector but I couldn't find it. My other argument was if a tenant moves out and there is no power on the alarms wont work. The inspector was young and "green" but his faced changed to red, he knew he put his foot in his mouth. Not making fun of inspectors, I do it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.