80 KVA UPS capacity planning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to add load to a 480 volt supplied 3 phase UPS that is loaded to 50% of its KW rating of 65 . The existing load consists of (6) 208/120Volt 225A panelboards, all fed paralleled from a 75 KVA transformer. The transformer secondary feeder is fused for 200 amps. I need to add 120 volt receptacles serving IDF closets in the building. Total additional load will be whatever I can safely add to the UPS. How is the calculation done? I want to stay within the 65 KW rating of the UPS.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You need to determine the kw of your load (based on what the receptacles will supply). Since it's 120 volt you hopefully can distribute it over all 3 phases of your 208/120 panlelboards. In its simplist terms, with nothing else taken into account, you total load in kw is what you will add to the UPS. KW values are equla at both voltages. (KW load you add at 120v is still the same KW load at 480)

skeshesh

Let's clarify this a bit: do you have six (6) 120V/208Y panels rated at 225A fed from one 75kVA transformer? Where is the UPS connected (is it supplying the primary of this transformer or otherwise supporting the load)? When you say %50 loaded, do you mean to say that there's a total of apprx. 100A load connected to these six panels?

wireguru

what type of environment is this in? For example you wouldnt want to do this in a shared datacenter environment where it is expected the rest of the UPS capacity is available through the existing panelboards.

__dan

Banned
Lots of variables, depends on the load

Lots of variables, depends on the load

There are lots of variables, depends on the site, the loads, and the quality of the UPS.

Computer loads cannot be accurately sized by nameplate. Most likely, the nameplate rating is the power supply rating only, say 1 kW, but the max actual load due to the way the equipment is built is much less, say .2 kW on a 1 kW rated power supply. I will not offer a code opinion, I will say on a large UPS I would look at the actual load and add.

Efficiency on lightly loaded UPS's is pretty bad. For illustration purposes efficiency could go from 75% to 85% as load increases from 25% to 70%. Adding load could increase efficiency up to a sweet spot.

Look at the manufacturer's rating and ask them for recommendations when you reach that point. Look at the KW rating, not the KVA rating, and look if the manufacturer rates their KW output at 100% for continuous loading or at 80% for continuous loading. Get a solid target number.

Site variables:

Are there lots of dual source, dual power cord loads that will double the kW drawn if the alternate redundant source goes down ? If worst case and all the loads are loaded 50% - 50% on two redundant cords, you are already at max at 50% on the UPS with 50% on another UPS. In some arrangements, that 50% transfers to the B source when A goes down. Dual power cord hot swap power supplies are pretty common in a certain equipment class.

How much does the load vary with demand. What is peak load, what loads are added or cycle with demand, what is in standby and must be met when the load calls.

Is there constant onsite KW load monitoring, how often, do the guys know what the numbers measure and the source / load limits. With no onsite talent, the guys will add loads until something trips. Are there already lots of outlets prewired that something will be plugged into later. Is there a supervising EE / PE power person for the site.

I would be tempted to survey the site and add load confidently but business wise, if I am liable for adding load in excess of capacity, you may want to test the customer's appetite and budget in addition to testing their loads. If the onsite guys are very clueless and the cost of downtime is huge, maybe they want another UPS and an array of dual power cord rack loads.

Poor quality, cheap, power supplies as loads draw noise and harmonics from the source. Harmonic distortion will increase with the increased load and probably interfere with the max rating.

High quality data center rated power supplies as loads are pretty clean, good loads I would be confident in adding.

dan....your particular insight and expertise is appreciated. Your correct in the assumption that load can be added without regard to the ramifications. In this case it is not a data center environment with the dual sourcing. This UPS is supporting a high level call. The IDFs I need to power with UPS are for new VOIP. At this point and with a lot of good advice I won't be adding but 8 KVA ( for this phase)....thanks to everyone for the good insight and expertise
...best regards

skeshesh

From the situation you describe I don't believe adding 8kVA to support multiple IDFs should be a problem. Lets forget abot power factor for a moment and assume the input to the transformer is 65kVA. With 100A average load (although you should really look at the biggest phase if the difference is more than a few amps), the load is about 36kVA. Addition of a 8kVA load seems reasonable in this case. Dan cites insightful thoughts, but I think the ones that particuarly apply to your case are if you're adding prewired outlets that could be used to add load that you're not considering + estimating how much the existing load maximum is (you usually need to meter it for a few days or you can request maximum demand for the past several months from the utility company which may take a couple of days/weeks). Bottom line is if you're simply adding one receptacle per IDF to add some VoIP hubs totalling 8kVA, if the maximum demand is indeed 36kVA and if no unexpected large loads will be added I think you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.