Teaching troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The one I mentioned cause an intermittent no-power at the receptacle (gee, I wonder why :roll:), and, coincidentally, one living-room receptacle stopped working.

How nobody got zapped when the washer was dead is just dumb luck. There was a well-grounded radiator within 4 feet of it. I got 120v to it on my solenoid.

3 way instruction

3 way instruction

I have found over the years this is a major stumbling block for some electricians. When I teach 3/4 way switches a take 1 3 hour class and all we do is wire and then I send them out mess with the wireing and have them repair it. However that is a great concept. I think what I will do is have the students instuct another student without looking, do a repair

hot wire

service call one time was a night mare got a call saying jewery case was shocking people . didnt see how it was possible most of them are wood cases.Got to the job they showed me where it was the gold trim around the case where the gold spots were worn off had 120 volts with a pair of testers . That was the only spot i could get to do it i guess the rest of it would read through paint and part of the case was wood. about 2 days later i found a twist lock recp under the case they used them for the lights in the cases one of the recp had been hooked up wrong had the hot wire on the netural screw silver and the white wire hooked up on the copper screw changed it around no more voltage on the case..

mcclary's electrical

non electricians and three ways never seem to work well together.

for some interesting results what if they had one of them "chicago" or what ever city name others use three way circuits.

I have seen homeowners try to replace three way switch with single pole and not know what to do with the third wire - oh I can put it under that green screw.

I had that happen to me. Homeowner standing right behind me. He had tried to change his own switches and had several 3 way's and 4 way's not working. The first one I started on, I removed plate, removed screws from switch, touched switch to pull it out of box,,,,BAMM!! Shocked the heck out of me. The HO had landed the hot wire on the ground terminal. The original electrician never landed grounds on any of the switches. The only logical place (in his mind) was land the third wire on the green screw. I hate getting shocked in front of homeowners.

AV ELECTRIC

start a 900 phone service. Ask a qualified electrician over the phone on how to repair your electrical 5 dollars a minute. They do it with everything else .

Status
Not open for further replies.