stripping 500 mcm cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

1000 of these should do the trick :)

2553654823_9605524547.jpg

I've heard there are stripping machines, but I don't know the names of any. I know in my area some of the scrap dealers have them and will buy insulated wire.

27hillcrest

I have had great luck laying it out on a black top driveway in the hot sun for about an hour. Then I used a hook blade razor knife and it came off like butter. Being that's there’s snow in every state except Hawaii you might need to wait till summer.

jdsmith

Look into a Greenlee #1900 stripper. It has a blade that can be adjusted to match the insulation thickness and the blade can be oriented parallel to the conductor and you just pull it along the length. A hook blade in a utility knife might also work if you can keep from cutting your finger open while using it.

quogueelectric

Never put your hands in harms way is rule #1. Score the insulation with a razor knife straight down the cable cut into 3-4 foot pieces. Smack the cable on the ground hard holding one end in your hand and it will split open like a mellon. The blacktop driveway works awesome when the weather permits.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Looking for an easy way to strip 500 mcm cable for scrap.
E Bay has had a machine for about $100 that looks OK. Manual, you adjust 3 or 4 cutter blades on long bolts, pull the wire through them. I am thinking of trying some kind of router blade. Also thought of using a 3/4 bender, slot the shoe and place a single edge razor blade in it. Haven't tinkered with these yet. If you have a high volume, the machines scrap yards use are super. One here has a foot pedal. He feeds wire in about 3 foot pieces, steps on pedal and it pulls through, zips jacket in half, pieces fall away as bare cu comes out. I'm sure those are high dollar machines though.

Article 90.1

Long runs get hooked to an anchoring point then stretched with tow hooks of truck. Walk down wire with razor knife, either perpendicular to the insulation, or parallel to the insulation (think of filleting a fish).

If it is cold, shorter pieces would get stacked between the rungs of the oil filled electric radiator that heated my bedroom, then stripped (we had plywood subfloors for a long time...)

480sparky

I have had great luck laying it out on a black top driveway in the hot sun for about an hour. Then I used a hook blade razor knife and it came off like butter. Being that's there?s snow in every state except Hawaii you might need to wait till summer.

Actually, cold weather makes it much easier to strip cables. Just set the stuff in the bed of your truck overnight. Then first thing in the morning, stand on the tailgate and drop the cables on your driveway.

Insulation shatters like glass. Pick up the copper, and sweep up the busted insulation.

There used to be a company called Big Bucks or Big Bux, but their domain name has expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.