Legally required standby systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Articles 700.12B6 & 701.B5 Both say the same thing about generator sets being out side and not reguiring an additional disconecting means. This is a big unit with an encloser. You need to open the doors of the encloser to turn off the 800 amp breaker. Is this considered readibly accessible?
And do these two articles over rule article 225-31 & 32 where it says the disconect shall be nearest the point of entrance. I am in Wisconsin and I can not go more than 8ft into a building without having a disconect on either my service or feeder wires. I am calling the wires from the Generator to the building feeders from article 100 in the NEC handbook that says they are. This is at a hospital that is replacing there existing emergency generator.
Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You need a disconnect at the building that complies with 225.31 and .32, unless the disconnect at the generator is within sight from the building. Note this requires that the disconnect itself, and not just the generator enclosure be within sight from the building.
(6) Outdoor Generator Sets. Where an outdoor housed generator set is equipped with a readily accessible disconnecting means located within sight of the building or structure supplied, an additional disconnecting means shall not be required where ungrounded conductors serve or pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall meet the requirements of 225.36.

ceb58

You need a disconnect at the building that complies with 225.31 and .32, unless the disconnect at the generator is within sight from the building. Note this requires that the disconnect itself, and not just the generator enclosure be within sight from the building.

To add to that you will see it also refers you to 225.36 ( service rated) which unless special ordered the breaker on the gen. set is not. Along with wording from 445.18 (lockable in the open position)

Status
Not open for further replies.