Emergency stops for other purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it code compliant to use another set of contacts on a emergerncy stop button to turn on a light that indicates that the switch has been pushed using the same control voltage and circuit the light will be on a pilot in seperate control box

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I know of nothing that would prohibit that use.
Illuminated pushbuttons are often used in just such a manner.

billsnuff

the systems I've worked on have a light at the e-stop that has been actuated and an illuminated 'reset' which is required to return the e-stop circuit to monitoring.

eric7379

Systems that I have worked on in the past usually have had a different circuit for the light, but I have seen in done both ways.

Another system that I have worked on in the past had a "redundant" e-stop circuit in which the normal e-stop circuit is on a NC contacts, but another part of the circuit is on a NO contact. If both contacts do not change state within a defined amount of time, then a fault of "e-stop mismatch" would be given.

Other setups I have seen have been where once the e-stop button is pushed, then the light is illuminated on every e-stop button on the machine, but another set of contacts is used to tell the PLC where at on the machine the e-stop button is pushed in at, then a fault message can be annunciated on a display.

Don't know for sure if any of these is specifically addressed in the NEC. Probably the NFPA 79 or other industrial standards would come in to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.