Afci-210-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

Completed job that involved replacing 2 FPE panels on a house. 1 was the outside main panel 2nd was sub panel in basement.
I add a new 30 circuit MLO panel next to the existing FPE panel in basement. I spliced all of the existing circuits in the old panel converted to J extend my circuits to new panel which is 6" from old panel.

Inspector failed job siteing 210-12 AFCI needed on all existing circuits in that I extended the circuits creating a new circuits.
I am appealing his decsin with the chief Inspector.

I have never heard of such a thing. Inspector said because I replaced panel then all of the circuits are now considered new.

I was also failed on not have Battery operated smokes installed Thur out the House.
reasoning is that I add an interior receptacle and since this was an addition requiring a permit Battery operated smokes need to be installed.

what do you think? AFCI required not required.
I will post some pictures shortly.

administr8tor

Completed job that involved replacing 2 FPE panels on a house. 1 was the outside main panel 2nd was sub panel in basement.
I add a new 30 circuit MLO panel next to the existing FPE panel in basement. I spliced all of the existing circuits in the old panel converted to J extend my circuits to new panel which is 6" from old panel.

Inspector failed job siteing 210-12 AFCI needed on all existing circuits in that I extended the circuits creating a new circuits.
I am appealing his decsin with the chief Inspector.

I have never heard of such a thing. Inspector said because I replaced panel then all of the circuits are now considered new.

I was also failed on not have Battery operated smokes installed Thur out the House.
reasoning is that I add an interior receptacle and since this was an addition requiring a permit Battery operated smokes need to be installed.

I will post some pictures shortly.

This is one of the dumbest things i've heard come out of an inspector!
There is no possible way you could ever make that work without completely rewiring the house,

The guys probably new on the job call a different inspector out

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This is one of the dumbest things i've heard come out of an inspector!
au contraire ! I've done dumbier things :)

There is no possible way you could ever make that work without completely rewiring the house,
Why? I'm not supporting the "call", but, in most applications I don't see why the AFCI would not work (on much older houses with "mixed" neutrals..no, but on wiring installed with the last few decades why would they not work? )
The guys probably new on the job call a different inspector out

Let us know what the Chief says

p.s. In our jurisdiction you would have had to add the smokes also, based on our Building Code and Elect Insp policy.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Gotta love it.

210.12 uses the phrase "outlets installed" as the guide. Now, the word "installed" has a couple meanings, as used, in my opinion. The word "installed" can be either past or present tense, but, since the NEC is a "new construction standard", I take it to be clearly present tense.

In your panel replacement, no new Outlets were installed. Period. No AFCI required.

Riograndeelectric

UPDATE!! Chief inspector sided with me and said No afci required. had a conference call with the Chief inspector and Inspector who issued correction notice.
still have to add Battery smoke though. HO is going to do this.

I tried to send the pictures of the panel I took with my cell phone but could not get them to go thru to my email.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.