Two meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

stev

Here is the situation. An existing dwelling with an overhead service. A new dwelling in the finishing stage of construction on the same property with a new service panel. The houses are about 15' apart and the panels about 25' apart. The original plan was to have the service at the new dwelling, and run a feeder to a yet to be installed sub panel at the existing house. Now, the plan has changed to leaving the existing service drop and have two meters (poco) grouped on the existing house, and I'm wondering what is the best way to do this, given the two service panels. Ideas?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you have an '08 Handbook, look a Exhibit 230.14. In describing 230.3, it shows a service hitting one house and, without entering the house, a
set of service conductors running UG to the 2nd house.
You would need to verify with you AHJ & POCO if this is acceptable to them (one of our area PPCOs will accept, the other will not)
Plan B would be similar but adding a service disconnect for each unit at the meters/drop.

stev

Thank for the response. I'll post back later. I'm trying to get in contact with the poco planner. What I have so far is from the property owner. I have no reason to doubt it, but I should know more after I talk to the engineer/planner.

stev

It's been so long (two weeks) this thread is probably dead, but I wanted to post how this wound up. After meeting with the poco planner and also the AHJ, there will be the two meters, grouped on the existing residence. The overhead service will stay but be upgraded with larger wire. I'll probably bring it to a gutter and then to the existing service which has a meter and also from the gutter to a new meter/main which will serve as the disconnect and then underground to the new residence service panel.
My main concern in all of this has always been how to feed the new residence Since it had a service panel, I knew if I ran a grounding conductor with the feeder I would have a problem per 250.32 (B) ('08) because of the bond between the grounded conductor and the grounding conductor (not modifiable). In my meeting with the AHJ I argued for the exception in that paragraph, because there was no metallic connections between the buildings, and we could easily comply with the other conditions as well. The exception is directed at existing buildings, and that's not really the case here, but given the situation, the AHJ was willing to consider it. That exception would allow a three conductor feeder with no grounding conductor from the new meter/main disconnect with the grounded conductor connected to the new service panel and uffer in the usual manner. That may be what Augie47 had in mind. And so that's what we'll be doing.

hurk27

The code only requires a service disconnect where you enter a building/structure, we do many out buildings by hitting a double lug meter base with one set of SEC's hitting a main breaker panel just in side and the other set going right back into the ground and hitting another main breaker panel in the out panel, I don't see this as being any different other then having an extra meter on the same service drop?

This has been my argument when you have a meter out on a pole away from a building, I do not see a requirement for a disconnect on that pole since the SEC's don't "enter the pole" they simply continue on to the building hitting a service rated disconnect which would be required anyways, But the POCO has the finel rule:roll:

stev

Yes they do. Also, in this case, the Fire Dept. requires the disconnects for the two buildings to be grouped and identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.