Sevice conductor terminations overhead/under

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

When installing a 125a residential meter-main with overhead feed. I have had several inspectors tell me that the service conductors have to terminate on the top lugs over the meter. I have had panels that have the option to move the factory installed lugs from the bottom to the top of the meter.
Recently the panels that I have purchased (SQ-D, C-Hammer) are combination bottom or top feed, and both have the factory installed lugs on the bottom. Neither of thesed panels has provisions to move the lugs up. So I have to assume that they are approved to have the overhead feed terminated on the bottom lugs.
I can't find a reference in the code regarding where the service conductors have to terminate in relation to where they enter the cabinet. The utlility providers greenbook does not specify the lug position for overhead entry. It just states that a combination or all-in-one panel is acceptable if listed for both overhead and under.
I am just trying to figure out where the inspector is getting this information.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you asking whether you can install the overhead riser conductors on the bottom of the meter? I thought all meter main combos only had one place to connect. You have to connect to the line side of the meter.

I don't think you'll find a code reference on this but the meter , I thought, would run backwards if the line was at the bottom.

titan1021

Yes, I am asking if there is a code issue with connecting the service conductors coming in overhead to the lower lugs on the line side of the meter.
There are some panels that are designed to allow the installer to flip the lugs or bus bars up so that wires coming in from above can terminate at the top of the enclosure as opposed to having a loop at the bottom as they feed into the lower lugs.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, I am asking if there is a code issue with connecting the service conductors coming in overhead to the lower lugs on the line side of the meter.
There are some panels that are designed to allow the installer to flip the lugs or bus bars up so that wires coming in from above can terminate at the top of the enclosure as opposed to having a loop at the bottom as they feed into the lower lugs.

Offhand I don't know of any code article but I bet the poco won't hook it up if they check it. I don't believe the meter will work properly.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the panel is marked that it meets EUSERC requirements for overhead feed you are fine. If it is only rated for underground service you can't feed it from the top. Do you happen to have any catalog numbers of the panels in question?

220/221

Location of the lugs doesn't matter as long as the top of the meter is the line side.

If he would have simply looked at the busing he could have followed it from the lugs to the top of the meter.

kbsparky

I'd like to see a pic of this piece of equipment. As long as the incoming lines are terminated to the the top jaws of the meter socket, it should not matter where the lugs are actually located. :cool:

220/221

Here's an example of an OH/UG convertable lug panel.

This is a 200 amp 40 space meter/main panel but the idea is the same.

It comes from the factory with the lugs at the bottom for UG feed but also has a hole punched in top for a hub for an OH feed. I've seen guys just bring the wires in from the top and bend them tightly to land them in the bottom but the compartment is only 7" wide and it seems like the bending radius is too tight to do that legally.

electrical152.jpg

The bars that connect the lug to the meter bus unscrew and flip around.
electrical154.jpg

The factory mistakenly uses self tapping screws but I always replace them with nuts/bolts/washers.

electrical155.jpg

220/221

Thats great but we do not use those here.

That's great but this thread isn't about what you use there. :roll:

Recently the panels that I have purchased (SQ-D, C-Hammer) are combination bottom or top feed, and both have the factory installed lugs on the bottom. Neither of thesed panels has provisions to move the lugs up. So I have to assume that they are approved to have the overhead feed terminated on the bottom lugs.

Is there a factory hole at the top for the riser? If so, they were obviously designed to use the lugs at the bottom. Whether they are approved by the local AHJ may be a different story.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If the OP has what 220 is showing then I would reverse it so the feed is at the top but as others have said as long as the bar attaches to the upper sockets it should not matter.

There is no violation esp. if the unit is approved for the purpose. It would appear much easier to flip the bar so the lugs are at the top.

On second thought you could have a bending violation with those lugs on the bottom- not sure where that article is located in the NEC.

Found it.. 312.6

Last edited:

titan1021

Here's an example of an OH/UG convertable lug panel.

This is a 200 amp 40 space meter/main panel but the idea is the same.

It comes from the factory with the lugs at the bottom for UG feed but also has a hole punched in top for a hub for an OH feed. I've seen guys just bring the wires in from the top and bend them tightly to land them in the bottom but the compartment is only 7" wide and it seems like the bending radius is too tight to do that legally.

electrical152.jpg

The bars that connect the lug to the meter bus unscrew and flip around.
electrical154.jpg

The factory mistakenly uses self tapping screws but I always replace them with nuts/bolts/washers.

electrical155.jpg

I have used panels like that and I will flip bus bars around as you did in your pictures. I recently purchase two 125a meter mains, one Sq-D Homeline and one Cutler-Hammer BR. They both are all-in-one's listed for OH & UG, but the bus bars are not able to be reversed. So the service conductors will come in from above and terminate at the bottom. Its only #2 so I believe there is adequate space for the bends.

Status
Not open for further replies.