Controlling 2 fan/lights with one 12/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankft2000

I have used the Lutron Maestro fan controls in the bast with great success. This time a customer has to fans (12/2 between the fans and a 12/2 down to the switch). Has anybody tried installing one fan control/dimmer in the wall then installing a canopy module in EACH fan canopy? Lutrons e-mail gadget is not working and their info says that the canopy module is only good for 1 fan, but if each fan has its own module controlled from a single wall controller would it operate correctly? Thanks for any insight.

Line diagram ==wall controller > canopy module > canopy module

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what I would do. I would put 2 modules in the ceiling and get a remote for each with a different dip switch setting for each. Leave the switch in the on position and everything is good. You generally cannot run 2 fans with one control unless it is an infinite rheostat control. They hum and are horrible

Buck Parrish

Well, I know sometimes if you turn one light/fan on with a remote. Two or three fans might come on if their on the same frequency.
But are you talking about the 'smart' dimmer/rheostat ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would say one remote and 2 modules they work just fine like that. The module doesnt know of the second fan.

I have seen them get out of sync. Once every now and then only one fan comes on when you use a single remote. I guess you can hit the on button again and make get the other fan to work.

I also like the idea of using the fan in the area I am in but you are correct-- one remote may work just fine. You usually buy it as a kit so you can store the second remote or use it also.

frankft2000

I'm not so much wondering about remote kits as I was wondering about Lutron's Maestro fan control/dimmers, using one wall control and two separate canopy modules. They do not have dip switches, but the owner was looking at controlling both the same.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I'm not so much wondering about remote kits as I was wondering about Lutron's Maestro fan control/dimmers, using one wall control and two separate canopy modules. They do not have dip switches, but the owner was looking at controlling both the same.

Well now I see. I thought you said Lutron said it won't work. It will. In fact, you can dim up to 4 fans with the maestro module. Info is gotten from here.

• Maestro IR fan controls provide remote control to vary the speed of up to four ceiling paddle fans.
  • Control up to four fans from one Maestro fan control from anywhere in the room
  • 7 quiet speeds provide enhanced range of comfort
  • Recall your favorite fan speed as you enter the room
  • Adjust fan speed from up to three locations
  • Works with virtually all existing wiring
  • Control uses a fan canopy module to integrate with the fan
  • To control multiple fans, use one canopy module per fan

frankft2000

Well now I see. I thought you said Lutron said it won't work. It will. In fact, you can dim up to 4 fans with the maestro module. Info is gotten from here.

• Maestro IR fan controls provide remote control to vary the speed of up to four ceiling paddle fans.
  • Control up to four fans from one Maestro fan control from anywhere in the room
  • 7 quiet speeds provide enhanced range of comfort
  • Recall your favorite fan speed as you enter the room
  • Adjust fan speed from up to three locations
  • Works with virtually all existing wiring
  • Control uses a fan canopy module to integrate with the fan
  • To control multiple fans, use one canopy module per fan

I saw that Dennis, but when I look at the chart on the same page it says that the IR fan only unit can control up to 4 fans but when I look at the IR fan/light control it says only one fan. So I still am wondering. lol

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I saw that Dennis, but when I look at the chart on the same page it says that the IR fan only unit can control up to 4 fans but when I look at the IR fan/light control it says only one fan. So I still am wondering. lol
Frank I read thru the info many times and I don't see what the problem is. Everything is good. If you want call Lutron 24/7 and ask tech support. I am almost certain it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.