Need some help with 2 family with detached garage service

Status
Not open for further replies.

erusek

Hi Everyone,
Appreciate all the knowledge from all the members this site has helped me enormously. I'm a new contractor bidding a 2 family with detached garage and have a few questions about service and meters.
#1 - Do I need a meter for garage it will only be for storage but owner does want subpanel out there.
#2 - When calculating feeder size should I add in basement and garage square footage for the demand factors?
#3 - Also when calculating feeder size in figuring out amperage I=VA/E should I use 120 or 240 voltage for E since it's single phase?
#4 - When do you need to add a house meter for multifamilies? (ie hallway lighting, exterior lighting, etc)

Thank you to everyone helping.

Riograndeelectric

Hi Everyone,
Appreciate all the knowledge from all the members this site has helped me enormously. I'm a new contractor bidding a 2 family with detached garage and have a few questions about service and meters.

#1 - Do I need a meter for garage it will only be for storage but owner does want sub panel out there. (No)

#2 - When calculating feeder size should I add in basement and garage square footage for the demand factors? ( Basement yes Garage No)

3 - Also when calculating feeder size in figuring out amperage I=VA/E should I use 120 or 240 voltage for E since it's single phase? (240V)

#4 - When do you need to add a house meter for multifamily? (ie hallway lighting, exterior lighting, etc)
this is a building code issue. (a duplex would not require a house panel/ Mater)

Thank you to everyone helping.

Good Luck hope you get the Job

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Will the garage be part of one of the units or rented separately? If it's the latter who will pay for the electricity?

erusek

Thanks guys

Thanks guys

I appreciate the speedy answers and well wishes. The garage as far I've been told is just storage so I was gonna come off the 2nd floor panel (where owner will live). Which is another question:

The garage, basement and 4 ton outside ac unit will be fed from the 2nd floor panel which will be the owners apartment and located on the 2nd floor. What are your thoughts on a meter/main combo with a few circuits to feed the basement, garage and ac unit to save some money on pulling wire or is it not worth it?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.