Medium Voltage Test Cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

strebej

I have to put together a test equipment cart for the testing of new 12Kv to 38kV metal clad switchgear for the test engineers. I am familar with ANSI and IEEE test standards but I am unfamilar with the test equipment. Does anybody know what equipment I should purchase for these guys?

Thanks in advance!

wawireguy

Find some of Zog's posts. Could send him a PM. Think he has a new one on a arc flash question in the Safety forum. I suspect he might have some insight on this.

zog

I have to put together a test equipment cart for the testing of new 12Kv to 38kV metal clad switchgear for the test engineers. I am familar with ANSI and IEEE test standards but I am unfamilar with the test equipment. Does anybody know what equipment I should purchase for these guys?

Thanks in advance!

You have about $100,000 set aside I hope. It will be much more than will fit on a cart. You just want a list for the breakers or the relays, switchgear, transformers, cables? Could be $500,000 for everything. We have millions worth of test equipment for our guys.

Perhaps you could give me some more information. I will make you a list if you want but be prepared. The expensive specility test equipment is why most companies hire a testing company to do this for them, one that specilizes in MV switchgear testing.

strebej

You have about $100,000 set aside I hope.

You are correct the budget is large but not as large as I would like. I was thinking along the lines of a nice Fluke MM, A Hi Pot rated to ??? 40 Kv?, Whats thie difference between an AC and DC tester? What is the difference between a megohmeter and a Hi Pot tester. They install alot of SEL and Multilin relays so a protective relay tester? But what model. I was thinking a varible AC power source for Circuit breaker motors. Varible DC power source for trip circuit power? Just the essentials for now.. Oh and something to test the Ct's PT's and CPT's...

djohns6

You have about $100,000 set aside I hope.

You are correct the budget is large but not as large as I would like. I was thinking along the lines of a nice Fluke MM, A Hi Pot rated to ??? 40 Kv?, Whats thie difference between an AC and DC tester? What is the difference between a megohmeter and a Hi Pot tester. They install alot of SEL and Multilin relays so a protective relay tester? But what model. I was thinking a varible AC power source for Circuit breaker motors. Varible DC power source for trip circuit power? Just the essentials for now.. Oh and something to test the Ct's PT's and CPT's...
Don't forget a laptop computer and a whole bunch of software . Most of that eqpt. will require a computer to interface and software to run test macro's .

zog

You are correct the budget is large but not as large as I would like.

You just missed the Powertest conference, ended yesterday, that would have been the best place for you to see, demo, and purchase everything you need. I don't think you realize how much stuff you need. Giving you an entire list is a tall order because I would need to know a lot about your company, equipment, training level of personel, etc... How about I just answer your questions as they come?

I was thinking along the lines of a nice Fluke MM,

Good start, but not much uses for one for testing MV switchgear.

A Hi Pot rated to ??? 40 Kv?, Whats thie difference between an AC and DC tester?

The rating will depend on if you select AC or DC, DC should nto be used on cables but is smaller and lighter than AC. Power frequency AC is not practical for industive equipment and long cable runs. Your best bet is either a VLF or Tan Delta test set. Say $20-$30,000

What is the difference between a megohmeter and a Hi Pot tester.

There are several long threads here answering that question, use your search feature. They are 2 different classes of tests, megger is for insulation resistance, hipots are for measuring dielectric strength, you will need both. Megger needs to at least 5kV. $5,000 for a good megger.

They install alot of SEL and Multilin relays so a protective relay tester? But what model.

This will be your largest investment and has the most choices. Manta, doble, omnicron, and many others all make fine sets, expect to invest a good $40,000 here.

I was thinking a varible AC power source for Circuit breaker motors. Varible DC power source for trip circuit power?
This is telling me you are in over your head here. You have different AC charge and DC trip control voltages? What about closing?

Just the essentials for now.. Oh and something to test the Ct's PT's and CPT's...
Not sure what you mean by just the essentials, either you buy it or you don't, do you mean you just plan on running some of the required tests? The equipment discussed above is just a drop in the wel and you are already close to $100k

What about your test engineers? If they are not properly trained they can damage your switchgear and test equipment. If they are properly trained they should already have this list.

I guess I am just confused, I cannot recall anyone besides nuclear plants that does in house testing of MV switchgear and realys. You can hire a certified crew to do this at your plant for the life of the plant for what you are looking to spend on test equipment. Some more info from you may help clear things up. I really am trying to help you here.

zog

Don't forget a laptop computer and a whole bunch of software . Most of that eqpt. will require a computer to interface and software to run test macro's .

Yep, the laptop is cheap (our guys use toughbooks, $6,000 each) but the software an be $10k or more per license.

Status
Not open for further replies.