Transformer Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
First off I want you to know I do not know anything about trany's.

I ran into this and don't understand it.

What is the current on the secondary side of a 75 KVA 3 phase 480:208/120 volt wye transformer?

What does the 480:208/120 mean?

Volta

I ran into this and don't understand it.

What is the current on the secondary side of a 75 KVA 3 phase 480:208/120 volt wye transformer?

What does the 480:208/120 mean?

The secondary current is 208 amps (75000 va / 208 volts / 1.73 sq rt3 = 208 amps).

The ratio shows the primary voltage as 480, the secondary as 208 line to line, and 120 line to the midpoint of the wye secondary.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thank you-- I couldn't understand the colon. I was thinking it was a 480 or 208 tap on the primary and 120 on the secondary but obviously that was dumb thinking. That also explains why I got the wrong answer. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
One of your signature statements serves you well! A colon expression of a ratio!

:grin:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Colon.html

Yeah I know what a colon is. Someone was here with me and somehow I just look at it in a bizarre way. Again I'll blame the drugs but to be honest I had never seen a trany written as a ratio. Obviously I am a bit inexperienced with tranys. Except for a few door bell transformers I believe I have hooked up less than 3 in my life and all of them were very small.:grin:

And Jude-- I am good at fractions....:grin: I am also good at sarcasm

mivey

A transformer is used to transfer energy from one circuit to another. It can provide isolation between the systems and a change in voltage levels or both.

:grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In this case, it replaces the word "to".

A 480 to 208Y/120 transformer.

Yes, I still cannot believe I didn't see that but hey- c'est la vie.

Thanks -- just when I think I have gotten real good at this code stuff I always get put in my place.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.