NM wiring methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

millieamp

A city inspector complained that I put two NM cables through one opening in the back of a Carlon NM outlet box (box fill was otherwise ok). I know there is mention of one entry per knockout for conduit (duh) and K and T but for NM...? Show me the NEC Article number.

Was this inspector wrong?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think it is a bogus call but if Carlon only allows one cable per entry tab then so be it. I have never seen anyone get tagged for that around here.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
A city inspector complained that I put two NM cables through one opening in the back of a Carlon NM outlet box (box fill was otherwise ok). I know there is mention of one entry per knockout for conduit (duh) and K and T but for NM...? Show me the NEC Article number.

Show him Exhibit 314.5 in the handbook.

cpal

I've never seen or heard of an inspector veto the hand book.

that was not my point.
an inspector can interpert the code as that inspector wishes. (might get appealed) ( might not)

The information in the HB is the opinion of the editors. not necessarly an interpertation of the cmp.

in this area one can not enforce the explanatory print only the same language that is in the soft cover.

480sparky

that was not my point.
an inspector can interpert the code as that inspector wishes. (might get appealed) ( might not) ...........

No. Only the AHJ can interpret the Code. The inspector is only the enforcement branch of the process.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Please see 2008 314.17(C) Exception last sentence.
That's The Passage from the Holy Writ.
A city inspector complained that I put two NM cables through one opening in the back of a Carlon NM outlet box (box fill was otherwise ok). . . Show me the NEC Article number.

Yes. As long as it's a single gang.

mivey

No. Only the AHJ can interpret the Code. The inspector is only the enforcement branch of the process.
And in many places, the AHJ looks to the inspector for the interpretation so the inspector essentially becomes the AHJ by default.

cpal

personally I'd rather not start this issue again, The AHJ does not mean the same in all areas, (that was my point)

Status
Not open for further replies.