Too Old to Apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElToro

Simple question for all. I am 47, and want to be an Electrician here in California. Am I too old to get hired by someone? Or, am I likely to be seen as a solid trainee with huge potential?

(The long part of my post is here if anyone cares to read)
My background is in IT data center project management including physical infrastructure, cabling, A/C, HVAC, UPS, monitoring and electrical systems. Before that I was a software guy. Both opportunities have dried up and I have been out of work for 18 months. So I decided to look for my alter-ego and find that I have both the aptitude and desire to be an electrician.

I have already completed my application to the State of California for an Electrician Trainee card. I am taking 2 classes in a California State approved program ? one is in electronic circuits and the other is residential wiring. These are both hands-on, theory and NEC code oriented classes. I also will be taking an OSHA 30 course this spring. There is also the experience I had over 25 years ago working for Walter?s which I consider both valuable knowledge and perhaps why I rediscovered my desire to be an electrician. I dont mind paying my dues but I just hope I wouldnt look like a liabilty to an EC.

Give me your gut feel - Don't worry about telling me the truth. I've dealt in enough lies as a PM :D

Buck Parrish

Here It's 5-10 years expierence before you can apply to take the exam to be a licensed electrician.

With your back ground a maintnance electrician at an industial facility with PLC's etc... might work out.

Last edited:

N844AA

Your timing couldn't be worse, there's very little work right now. As far as being 47, your maturity and good sense would be welcome, although you may not enjoy some of the very physical aspects of the trade, like dragging ladders and tools and cords off the truck....

What part of town are you in?

S'mise

From one geezer to another

From one geezer to another

There is definately age discrimination out there, but if it is something you want to do, go for it and don't look back. Many will not consider you but a few will respect your wisdom and tenacity. Your background is a huge plus too.

One of the nice things about getting older is you don't really care what people think:grin:

Cavie

47 is when I hung up the belt, sold the business and took up the desk job and started my pursuit of inspector certificates. Attic work became too much of a chore. Construction is a young mans game. With that said, one of my best employees was 76 when he quit working so it is up to the individual. If you can deal with somebody 20 years your Junior telling you what to do, go for it.

ElToro

Buck - Thanks, youre right on about what folks think. I realize it's 8000 hrs here in CA before I can take the exam. I figure its alright so long as I am able to get the hours :confused:

N844AA - Youre right about timing. But I am thinking I am just about 6 months ahead of the curve. I am an optimist remember Im a PM too ;) I have a good idea of the physical parts of the job and it doesnt scare me. I am kinda hoping it keeps me in shape :) I worry about injuries but it doesnt factor as much in my risk analysis.
BTW - Im in So. Orange County so I can go anywhere in SoCal to work. It'll just take me a few hours to ge there :D

S'mise - I appreciate the encouragement. Now to find someone who values things I can offer.

K2X

I'm 56 and just went over my 8000 hours so I can test here in Colorado. I started my electrical apprenticeship at 47 but havn't been able to stay at it steady because of other business obligations.

As far as hiring on at an older age? Don't take no for an answer. I alway tell them I'll be the "on call/fill in guy". Once the can see I can work they want too many hours out of me.... It's been fun but electrician can get in some dirty nasty places, I think more so than some of the other trades. .. The license keeps the trade somewhat protected from illegals, etc. and i wish other trades would follow along those lines.

I had a full year of Davis Bacon last year and it was my best w-2 year ever.:D

ElToro

Cavie - Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah attics are hard work. I am thinking about doing my General certification and find an industrial or commercial job. Working on data centers, I worked with alot of smart electricians and they did super work. I only wish I had a few of their business cards today.

K2X - That's really encouraging. I know how hard and dirty it can be. But, then again, its better than plumbing! :D
BTW - good advice on making myself indespensible.

N844AA - 8000 hrs is what the DAS says I need for my General cert. I would hope I could do that in 4 years or under. Here is the DAS webpage with the criteria for testing.

ItsHot

Go for it !

Go for it !

Go for it!! Age is just a number! I would bet your work ethic is a lot better than most young guys! Good luck to you! This is a trade that you will always continue to learn,no matter your age, as long as you are willing!

knoppdude

ElTorro,
I am 47 also, and my advice is that if you can do the work at a certain age, then it is possible to learn it as well. So, go for it, your age makes no difference, as long as you can do the work. It is as simple as that in my opinion. I am still learning, and realize that there is so much to this trade that I will never learn, much less do all there is as far as electrical work is concerned. Anyhow, good luck, keep working and learning, and you will get your journeyman card before you know it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm 56 and just went over my 8000 hours so I can test here in Colorado. I started my electrical apprenticeship at 47 but havn't been able to stay at it steady because of other business obligations.

As far as hiring on at an older age? Don't take no for an answer. I alway tell them I'll be the "on call/fill in guy". Once the can see I can work they want too many hours out of me.... It's been fun but electrician can get in some dirty nasty places, I think more so than some of the other trades. .. The license keeps the trade somewhat protected from illegals, etc. and i wish other trades would follow along those lines.

I had a full year of Davis Bacon last year and it was my best w-2 year ever.:D
Glad the licensing helps there against illegals. It doesn't help here. Everyone here who rakes leaves or trims shrubbery also does electrical work. And carpentry, plumbing, painting, curtain hanging, etc. Electricians here all compete against each other and against these illegals.

K2X

Glad the licensing helps there against illegals. It doesn't help here. Everyone here who rakes leaves or trims shrubbery also does electrical work. And carpentry, plumbing, painting, curtain hanging, etc. Electricians here all compete against each other and against these illegals.

I worked in NC in 2001. No RW or JW license or Masters back then. Just an EC license. . I remember however, that they were very strict about owners doing electric work on their own home.

I'm 50, work part-time by choice, 5 hours days or so. Its really nice...
There r some good things about getting older, personality wise...
Physically? I work out every 5 days & that helps a lot...

ElToro

knoppdude - I've seen quite a few here that are like you. Glad you weren't deterred. How did you get your first job? Did you have contacts or just find an EC or journeyman that took you in? Im most worried about being seen as too old a dog. :mad:

Short.circuit - Don't think I can work part time if I want my license in 4-5 years. Im likely to keep at this kinda work until my body says otherwise. In my previous line of work, I pretty much was on my feet but used a laptop and notebook as my tools. Not that I minded it and it was excellent pay. But, with no work out there and few data centers that need a PM, I would rather turn in my clipboard for a tool belt and become a do-er.

My main question is.... Would you hire me at 47 to work for you for 4-5 years before I can be a money-maker?

gardiner

Don't think of it as 4 to 5 years to be a money maker, because it most likely won't be that long. First year or two low wage and low return for the employer after that higher wage and in theroy a higher return. Now couple all that with the business ethics of many shop owners and they have a prime canidate to charge out as a JW while only paying apprentice wage and if it?s a two man job many clients will not question it. I remember my first boss doing that when I was a first year (I was in my late 30's) and having discussion with him about not giving a straight answer if a client every asked.
Now if you can get into industrial maintenance working for the company and not a contractor then you might be considered a very good commodity as your IT experience might offset your lack of electrical experience.

Article 90.1

My best apprentice ever was 53 in his third year of a five year program. I was 28 at the time, so it was fun to have "Dad" as we called him, or "Gramps" on the job. We got Gramps when Lucent laid everyone off in the early 2000's. I say it is never too late, jump in, you can always jump out if you see a better opportunity. Truthfully, i would hire 10 Gramps who showe dup 15 minutes early, staid late if necessary, always called when he couldn't make it compared to the other "kids" we were hiring as apprentices. Your attitude is 75 percent of how your apprenticeship goes!

ElToro

gardiner - I do hope Im not costing money in year 2-4 :grin: I would love to be doing 'real' work before my first years up - but Ill pay my dues as necessary. I am interested in industrial maintenance as well as commercial. Motors and PLCs will be next semester and I hope I've got a job before then doing some kind of electrician work.

Article - Ive got all my hair and its hardly grey yet so I go by 'Dad' if ya dont mind :roll: I also dont mind being the last guy on site to button up or make that extra effort to make the other guys jobs easier. Now if I can just find a good EC here in SoCal that will look past my age ;)

rcarroll - If a damn banker can do this :grin::grin::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.