Why do they make them, if its illegal to use them

Status
Not open for further replies.

davos

It is part of my bag of tricks!

It is part of my bag of tricks!

I use one a couple times a year. It is wicked handy when you are in a house were the panel is not labeled and you have to turn a lighting circuit off in the top floor. I unscrew the bulb, insert the adapter then plug in my digital circuit tracer. Walk down two narrow sets of stairways all the way into the basement to were the panel is, run the wand over the breakers and it tells me the exact breaker, first try always! Very handy, very cheap and saves a ton of time! Davos

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Those adapters are great for plugging the transmitter of my breaker finder into.

The Lowe's here still sells light switches for open conductors that use no box. You just screw the old K&T into the back and screw the switch into the wall.

They look like this:

1508910.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I asked a manufacturer's rep why they still made liquidtight flexible metal conduit that is not listed, since the code has required you to use the listed product for a number of code cycles. He said that customers wanted it and it is not a violation to sell it...it is only a violation to install it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Those adapters are great for plugging the transmitter of my breaker finder into.
The last breaker finder I bought came with one.

The Lowe's here still sells light switches for open conductors that use no box. You just screw the old K&T into the back and screw the switch into the wall.

They look like this:

1508910.jpg
Ah! A tree-house switch. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The last breaker finder I bought came with one.
They sell a "circuit finder accessory" kit that contains a lampholder and a receptacle-lampholder adapter for $10. With a little poking around in the same aisle, you can buy the two items seperately for $3. The marketing geniuses at Ideal deserve a dope slap for that. :)

Jim W in Tampa

Anyone remember the one that had 2 receptacles and a shell for the light bulb ?Even had pull chain. That way you dont shave or listen to the radio in the dark. Bet someone has a picture of it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Handiest devices in the world. You can put any number of them together and plug in 2 extra cords each time. And with triple heads on cords, you can plug in 6 appliances per adapter and still have a light at the end too. Sometimes you can even find a Y adaptor and put in 2 light bulbs. Add in a few 6 strips for power x3x6x2. Ain't life great?

Seriously, I have sometimes seen these used as power supplies. 2-3 rooms may all be fed from the kitchen light, cords spider webbing all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.