panel space

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Stopped by a job site today to talk with the plumber working on the project. While there I meet the electrician doing the building, young guy just starting out. I noticed he had installed the 2 200 amp panels on the back wall of a hall way. The hall was 48'' wide with the panels in the center 2 stud cavity's. I told him I though that he would get gigged on 110.26 A 2 because he did not have 30'' of working space for each panel. If you measured the left panel from the right side of the panel to the wall there was only 23''. From the right panel on the left side to wall was 23 1/2''. His position was he had 48'' of width and should be OK. What do you think?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If these were flush mounted, so that the front of each panel was even with the wall surface, and so that there was at least 30 inches from the left side of the left panel to the right side of the right panel, the install is fine.

ceb58

Yet the wall space they are mounted in/on is a total of 48"? Your golden.

OK, just wanting others opinion. The panels are/will be flush mounted and from the left side of the left panel to the right side of the right panel to the wall will be more than the requried 30'' and vice verse. I just didn't want to see the guy gigged and cost him money to change it since he is just starting out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
OK, just wanting others opinion. The panels are/will be flush mounted and from the left side of the left panel to the right side of the right panel to the wall will be more than the requried 30'' and vice verse. I just didn't want to see the guy gigged and cost him money to change it since he is just starting out.

If you have one panel on the wall you wouldn't need 30" plus the width of the panel. The entire space including the panel must be 30". OBviously with multiple panels 2,3 etc. the panel widths themselves will be enough to comply.

cycotcskir

To the OP... the thing to remember is that the 30" is a floating measurement. If a panel has 4 inches on one side, plus the 16" of the panel, all that is needed os 10" on the other side. This would be the same for 2 panels next to each other. The 2 panels would be viewed the same as if they were one piece of equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.