service

Status
Not open for further replies.

surf more

i came across a service for a duplex,and it seemed wrong.
it was a 3 gang meter can,one meter for each ,with middle blanked (power company)
from one meter they took 2=2/0-1=1/0 from meter to 8-16 200amp hom mainbreaker meterpanel combo which was under meter bank.the installer put another breaker in to feed subpanel inside.

from the other meter (200amp meters) they fed #4 down below meter bank to a 100amp hom disconnect to the main lugs,and then installed a 100amp breaker to fed subpanel.

#1 was correct
#2 correct?:confused:me!!I would think the way i read 230 that it would be fine if wiring from meter went to 100amp breaker first as long as it was secured(breaker),and then the wire from sub panel went to main lugs!

is it legal to run straight to mainlugs from meter ,if that is the only breaker in that panel?i see 6 motions of hand ,but i think#2 was wrong,but that is why i am posting so correct me please if i am wrong!!

i was thinking that if you wired from meter to a main breaker that would be service disconnect,because the way it was wired the buss would still be hot wired to main lugs.
the #4 from 200amp meter to 100amp disconnect??i did not think that was correct either!!

i was on a service call ,and noticed!!it got me thinking

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am having a difficult time understanding what you have written. I can say that it is legal to go from a meter to a main lug panel as long as there isn't more than 6 breakers in the panel to disconnect the dwelling. 230.71

surf more

i was thinking the bus bar would be hot without main breaker,but even with main breaker the lugs would still be hot!!sorry stupid me

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
i was thinking the bus bar would be hot without main breaker,but even with main breaker the lugs would still be hot!!sorry stupid me

Not stupid at all and you make a valid point, however the NEC allows it. With all the talk of safety etc, how would you install a breaker to this type panel with the power off. You would have to call the poco, pull the meter, or work it hot. I think you know what most of us will do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.