Shoulda took a snow day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

In some part of New England all wood framed buildings have furring strips

I know my house has it cause it was the old plaster type construction (40's
circa) it must be a above north of the mason-dixon line, thing.

There's seems no reason to do it with straight timbers... they don't do it here.

mcclary's electrical

It's very marginal compared to the speed of not having to pull everything through holes. The labor more than makes up for a bit of extra cable.

I agree, and I use the same method. Drill straight down into crawl at every box. Put a man in the crawl and a man up top. You can rough in a house in NO TIME... alot quicker than drilling everything and fishing through holes. But 08' code is gonna slow this method down a bit. But we're still on 05'

Riograndeelectric

I can remember being an apprentice in the early 80s and roughing in US homes track houses in the middle of winter with no heat no windows or siding. when we were trimming out one of the house we found that the siding guys used 2: staples to fasten the siding and shot staples into the romex cables on several branch circuits.

Try going to use the port-o-let on a freezing cold day and have to sit down to do your Business.:mad:

US Home were so cheap they would not provide heat and were always pushing us to hurry up and rough in when the houses were not dried in.

A-1Sparky

That's the way I prefer to rough-in a house, too. Personally, I think it makes for a much neater job, and the plumbers and insulators with thank you for it. Yes, you are typically using more romex, but that gets figured into your bid.

N844AA

I agree, and I use the same method. Drill straight down into crawl at every box. Put a man in the crawl and a man up top. You can rough in a house in NO TIME... alot quicker than drilling everything and fishing through holes. But 08' code is gonna slow this method down a bit. But we're still on 05'

I must confess ignorance on this matter. We are still on the 2005 code and I am only casually aware of the changes in the 2008 code. What changes are you referring to that will slow this down?

Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I must confess ignorance on this matter. We are still on the 2005 code and I am only casually aware of the changes in the 2008 code. What changes are you referring to that will slow this down?

Thanks!

He is referring to the section that is requiring running boards for wires in the crawl. The other option is drilling the floor joists in the crawl. :roll: The words Crawl Space was added to this article

334.15 Exposed Work.
(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards. NM cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4. Conduit or tubing shall be provided with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the point the cable enters the raceway. The NM cable sheath shall extend through the conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than 6 mm (? in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor.

RonPecinaJr

In the winter time I hate when builders want a rough wire before the windows and doors are in.

In a perfect world the windows and doors are in and the finished exterior is also in place so that coach lamps boxes and such can be installed flush to finished surface.

roger3829

In the winter time I hate when builders want a rough wire before the windows and doors are in.

In a perfect world the windows and doors are in and the finished exterior is also in place so that coach lamps boxes and such can be installed flush to finished surface.

I WON'T wire it until it's closed in.

And has heat. Even if I have to bring my own heater with me.

tshea

I wish I had a picture...Many years ago GC did not have stone in driveway. Dirt was packed like concrete, so all the subs drove out to the hose and parked near the garage door. This was on a nice cold day in March. Later that morning, all the clouds blew away and the sun thawed the ground only to a depth of 1". Every sub was stuck. None of the vans could move for the mud became like slick snow.
Every sub needed a tow out AND a carwash! The next day gravel was spread out!

electricmanscott

The GC and me put plastic over the windows. I have my own heat so it was pretty nice in there today!

Oh and this isn't in Holden. It's in Rutland which happens to be far more backwoodsy! :D

rodneee

took your advice

took your advice

seven guys from our firm must have seen your post as they opted not to work today.....(wind driven snow all day)

Status
Not open for further replies.