Penciling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Brown

Is it legal to ring the wire now when stripping bigger conductors???
That is what someone younger than I in the trade told me.
I was taught to pencil the wire...

Last edited:

Volta

Neither method (nor any other) is within the scope of the NEC, reducing the size of the conductor (nicks) would be. Penciling is safer . . .

tkb

I thought that penciling of the insulation used to be done only to medium and high voltage cables.
I have never seen it done on 600 volt wire.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I believe that your method really only applies to Aluminum conductors. IMO for copper a knife isn't going to do any real damage.

Volta

The disadvantage of ringing the conductor is the possibility of scoring the conductor all the way around at the same point on its length, where whittling it with the same careless hand would likely produce nicks at slightly different points, and would tend not to weaken the wire as much.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
You score the insulation around, slice down, split, and peel back apply pressure as you allow the blade to follow the scored ring around. No nicks looks good. Use a sharp blade.

I thought that penciling of the insulation used to be done only to medium and high voltage cables.
I have never seen it done on 600 volt wire.

You're right and so are they, except describing two different issues.

Penciling on MV cables are done to reduce the dielectric transition from a sharp point to a gradual transition by allowing the insulation to gradually decrease from its full value to null.

Penciling is also refering to the method of removing insulation in general and refering to cutting the insulation at an angle versus 'ringing' it which refers to cutting it perpendicular. The argument here is the (potential) damage done by cutting into the conductors, therefore reducing their current carrying capability, eg. creating a hot-spot.

Regularkevin

I was taught to do a light ring and then slit from the end of cable to the ring. From that point you can remove the insulation without dinging the conductor inside.

mivey

I always thought penciling LV looked sloppy. You can ring without damaging the conductor and is what I have always done.

The MV terminations I have seen and done are not penciled.

mivey

Penciling on MV cables are done to reduce the dielectric transition from a sharp point to a gradual transition by allowing the insulation to gradually decrease from its full value to null.
Never heard that before. Where does that come from? The splice and termination kits we use do not mention it.

add: Any links you could provide would be appreciated.

Hendrix

You score the insulation around, slice down, split, and peel back apply pressure as you allow the blade to follow the scored ring around. No nicks looks good. Use a sharp blade.
I would take a piece of monofilament (fishing line) if you wanted to be absolutely sure you didn't scar the wire, and burn through the insulation by a back and forth motion. It works slick and doesnt take much time.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I have done HV and we do pencil and sand the "pink dink", also pencil the MV single insulation for Raychem types;
like the 5KV stuff.

jetlag

wire stripper

wire stripper

wire strippers are not suppose to ring the wire if you use the correct hole are they ? wonder why they dont make larger ones. Most strippers go to #10 solid . I see the stripper leave a ring sometime but it might be when I used the wrong hole then move it .If using a knife i make cut all the way to end as if I was going to pencil, peel the insulation away down to the bottom of pencil cut and clip it off . only one pencil cut touches the wire. It is to hard to slit the small wires, the pencil slice is better.

jetlag

old trick

old trick

It is old trick for young guy to tell older something is allowed now in the new code, thinking you wont know any better, No telling what he might tell you next time. That one was b s because it is not even addressed in the nec.

220/221

IMO, you have a greater chance of damaging the wire by pencilling.

My method is, one pencil shave, then ring the remainder with a sharp knife.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I'm a careful ringer. My POCO uses a tool that twists around the insulation in a clockwise motion similar to those apple peelers that take the peel off in one long piece. I'd like to get my hands on one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.