NM cable in Type I or II buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a conflict between the new Exception to 334.12 requiring NM cable to be installed in a raceway in Type I or II buildings (metal studs), and existing 300.4(B)(1) which allows NM cable to be installed in Type I and II with grommets.
I found no changes in 300.4(B)(1) in the NEC2011 Proposals/Comments.

Any thoughts?

cpal

what state are you in and are you referring to language in the NEC
The NEC in general does not recognize the use of NM in type 1 and II buildings. the exception was proposed for the 08 and it was aimed at smart house type cable hybrid. (as I recall)

raider1

Staff member
There seems to be a conflict between the new Exception to 334.12 requiring NM cable to be installed in a raceway in Type I or II buildings (metal studs), and existing 300.4(B)(1) which allows NM cable to be installed in Type I and II with grommets.

Any thoughts?

Metal studs can be used in type III, IV and V building as well.

Chris

dana1028

Any thoughts?

As Raider pointed out, metal studs do not equal Type I or II construction; you need to look at the Building Code [e.g. Chapter 6 of the IBC - Types of Construction] for the details.

"Type I & II construction are those types of construction in which the building elements listed in Table 601 are of noncombustible materials [e.g. structural frames, bearing walls, floors and roof]."

Status
Not open for further replies.