Outside receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

I know we have to use a WR gfi outside. But that WR only applies to gfi's and not regular receptacles correct? In other words you can still feed a reg receptacle outside from a gfi inside correct?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
406.8(b)........

(b) wet locations.
(1) 15- and 20-ampere receptacles in a wet location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.

Volta

All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be WR. 406.8. Maybe you can convince the inspector the NEC means NEMA 14-x receptacles . . . :roll::cool:

jwjrw

I finally went out to the truck and got my code book and found it. Thanks guys. Now say you have a screened in porch... Is that a wet location of could you use weatherproof covers and regular receptacles instead of WR and inuse covers?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is a damp location and covers do not change that one way or the other.
I think that Jrjrw was also asking if an in use cover must be used on the porch as opposed to a standard weatherproof cover.

If that is the case and the recep. is not subject to rain then an in use cover is not necessary.

In terms of the recep. you are correct. WR TR is needed.

406(B) Wet Locations.
(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Check your supplier for a flush mount rough in WP kit, I think Arlington makes it. A nice deep box that recesses receptacle deep, like a clock outlet only more. Has wp cover that barely rises from siding, only enough for cord knockouts. Attractive looking, useful, not a knee knocker.

iwire

Staff member

jwjrw

Maybe, but I don't read it that way.:)

OK it was like 5am when I posted that. What I meant was could I use wr receptacles and wp covers. I know the answer now.

The story behind this is I installed regular receptacles and WP covers on a screened in porch. A different inspector turned me down for not using WR receptacles and said he wanted in use covers. I told him I had no problem using the WR receps but I thought he was wrong about the covers. The next day the original inspector asked me why did I change that stuff? I told him I needed this job to pass today because they have family coming and I didnt have time to argue with the guy yesterday so I just did it. He said he would of let the reg receps and wp covers pass.
I know now the wr receps are required and wp covers are ok and will call his cheif tomorrow about the inuse he wanted but were not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.