Outlets mounted faceing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

Where in the code does it say that recepticals can not face up. We are putting in some 4000 wiremold with power to feed some desks. The carpenters want us to put the wiremold faceing up behind the desks mounted on a window seal. The wall under the window is furred out about 16 inches. They want us to do this because there will be no access to the wiremold if we mount in on the wall insted of above the wall.

TOOL_5150

Where in the code does it say that recepticals can not face up. We are putting in some 4000 wiremold with power to feed some desks. The carpenters want us to put the wiremold faceing up behind the desks mounted on a window seal. The wall under the window is furred out about 16 inches. They want us to do this because there will be no access to the wiremold if we mount in on the wall insted of above the wall.

I dont believe you will find that in the code book. If I am wrong, I would like to know though!

~Matt

macmikeman

I think you are ok for window sills. Show windows at dept. stores have faceup receptacles also, as do floor outlets. Bring your codebook in case your local insp. doesn't read his and says no up facing outlets.

JdoubleU

What is the worst that could happen if water does get in the outlet? Would it just short the circuit out or could it damage the equipment as well.

dbuckley

There was a discussion on this forum about this in regard to receptacles on the tops of mantlepieces, and my recollection (which may be flawed) was that there is nothing to prevent you from so doing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They make receptacles that mount face up specifically for window sills. You cannot do this in a kitchen counter but certainly okay on a sill.

The problem with 406.5(E) it says "countertops or similar work surfaces". Well what is a similar surface?

Last edited:

480sparky

They make receptacles that mount face up specifically for window sills. You cannot do this in a kitchen counter but certainly okay on a sill.

The problem with 406.5(E) it says "countertops or similar surfaces". Well what is a similar surface?

The word "work" is also in there. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.