fire suppression system help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

fire suppression system help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are hooking up a fire suppression system, i was asked to wire it up for them. Basycally Fire marshall will require lights from vent-a-hood and a receptacle in the area to cut off whenever the system kicks on.
Question:

1- I understand that shunt-trip breakers are common for this application, is this correct.?
2 Has anybody messed with this before?
3 i was told to run the BC from circuit breaker to shunt-trip breaker in attic, and then from there to shut-off for the supression system and to the switch in their suppression system box.?

Any help greatly appreciated.

aline

The last one I did I used a contactor instead of shunt trip breakers.

I mounted the contactor in a box below the panels and ran mc cable from the contactor over to the fire suppression system contacts to control the contactor.

Moved the wires from the breakers to the contactor and ran new wires from the contactor to the breakers.

fishin' electrician

The last one I did I used a contactor instead of shunt trip breakers.

I mounted the contactor in a box below the panels and ran mc cable from the contactor over to the fire suppression system contacts to control the contactor.

Moved the wires from the breakers to the contactor and ran new wires from the contactor to the breakers.

Simplest and most cost effective way to do it.:cool:

Shunt trip breakers are expensive.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You may want to check on two things based on the manner in which that Code is enforced here.
(a) If you have a make-up air fan, it will need to shut down when the fire suppression system activates.
(b) some of the FMs require any exhaust system startup when the system activates.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds like you're new at this so some of us may ask for more specific information in order to guide you in the right direction.

Question : Is the system mechanically or electrically operated ? If it's mechanical (like an Ansul system) then there are usually multiple sets of contacts on either the head of the of the discharge tank (if it's a small system) or relay contacts in its control panel on larger systems that you may be able use for this purpose (depending on the contact rating). If the system is electrically operated ( like a fire alarm control panel) then all the control relays should be provided within that system for your use (again, depending on the contact rating).

When you get further involved into this project give us some more detailed info and perhaps we can give you some more feedback.

ksmith846

We also typically use contactors. Normal set up is for the exhaust fan to come on and for the supply fan to shut down as well as any electrical circuits/devices which are beneath the hood. The hood system should have dry contacts for you to pass your contactor coil wires through. Shunttrip breaker way is definitely more expensive.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We also typically use contactors. Normal set up is for the exhaust fan to come on and for the supply fan to shut down as well as any electrical circuits/devices which are beneath the hood. The hood system should have dry contacts for you to pass your contactor coil wires through. Shunttrip breaker way is definitely more expensive.

Yes, shunt trips would not be my first choice. Not only are they expensive, but I have a recolection that you have to supervise for the presence of voltage to fire the shunt coil (this may be a New Jersey thing). A real PITA.

Charlie Bob

Update

Update

Fire suppression system update.
I just finished the wiring of my first fire suppression system.it was a little bit of a challange to desing. Everything worked fine and as expected.
I really wanted to appraciate everybody for chiming in at the time of need.
I couldn't have done it without you all's help.
Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.