Readily Accessible Disconnect in Containerized Water System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECTech

Does the NEC code requiring disconnects to be readily accessible apply to 40ft steel containers? This container will have a 3 phase Motor Control panel and a control panel.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That's the wrong question, I believe. A better question is whether the NEC itself applies to a container. I suspect that it does not. What matters is whether the container is constructed and listed as a unit, including the electrical equipment inside the container. If so, the NEC does not apply. If the equipment is added later, and if the container is merely the facility into which the electrical equipment is installed, then I would say the NEC does apply. If the NEC does apply, then all of its rules apply as well, and that would include the rule about having local disconnects.

ECTech

Yes your correct that is a better question. Our containers are constructed with electrical equipment and plumbing by us and sold as a unit. So I can ignore the rule on the disconnect accessible. But I should use the NEC as a guide for safety when constructing my panels, wiring, and running conduit. Is this correct?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If I may add a side note, some jurisdictions, such as ours, will require that your "units" bear the label of a NRTL agency, so you would be required to meet their requirements and I would be surprised to see a NRTL unit where the disconnects did not meet NEC.
When I do encounter major deflections from the NEC I normally contact the NRTL. The number of times these "variations" are NRTL accepted is rare.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington, those containers would be considered a Factory Assembled Structure (FAS). If they are made out of state and moved on site, they are required to have an FAS label, this ensures they comply with the appropriate wiring rules.
Now if the unit had a listing for the entire container, such UL XXXX, Package Water Treatment System, then IMO, the FAS label would not be required.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
And one more comment, why would you want the disconnect to not be readily accessible?
And if you had some type of exception, the customer might say "hey, we want that disconnect to be readily accessible..."

Status
Not open for further replies.