changing dryer on service upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Can someone tell me where the code refers to upgrading a dryer and range to 4 wire on a service upgrade. I heard about this and know someone who has been red tagged for it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In this area, no "upgrade" is required unless a new branch circuit is installed (except for the addition of smoke detectors per our building code), I too, have heard of local requirements for such upgrades.

Cavie

Why stop at dryers? Why not ranges, gfi's, afc's, the list goes on and on. Just plane stupid. Code changes are for new construction. Service upgrade is just that and nothing more. Upgrade the service to larger service to handle the upgraded load. Next thing you know the code cops will be going door to door and making us install that stuff just cause they want to. I'm done.:mad:

raider1

Staff member
On services where I have had to install a disconnect ahead of the old panel the inspectors want the wiring upgraded.

I agree with the inspectors in that situation.

If the panel is no longer the service equipment then IMHO you have now created a violation of 250.140 Exception if the dryer or range were run in SE cable.

The Exception for existing dryers and ranges supplied with an SE cable without an EGC and using the grounded conductor to bond the frame of the range or dryer requires the the SE cable originate at the service equipment.

Exception: For existing branch-circuit installations only where an equipment grounding conductor is not present in the outlet or junction box, the frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part of the circuit for these appliances shall be permitted to be connected to the grounded circuit conductor if all the following conditions are met.
(1) The supply circuit is 120/240-volt, single-phase, 3-wire; or 208Y/120-volt derived from a 3-phase, 4-wire, wye-connected system.
(2) The grounded conductor is not smaller than 10 AWG copper or 8 AWG aluminum.
(3) The grounded conductor is insulated, or the grounded conductor is uninsulated and part of a Type SE service-entrance cable and the branch circuit originates at the service equipment.
(4) Grounding contacts of receptacles furnished as part of the equipment are bonded to the equipment.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.