Missing Power pole grounds good ? or bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a client who has a business located in steel structure buildings fed by phase power drops attached to buildings , recently [past 12 mos] has experienced numerous lightning damages , discovered that all of the power utility poles have had the copper pole grounds vandalized for blocks in all directions , power company contacted and surveyed stated that the pole grounds dont do anything and refuse to repair them . Additionally I test the ground bar feeds and bonds and find 3-30 v ac power on the cable sheath from the telco provider also terminating on the same non grounded power poles , contacted them they state that this is normal .

I was taught to report all missing pole grounds and test for foriegn current on cable , housings , etc . Surely it cant be normal , what is your input ?

mivey

Sounds like a foolish POCO to me.

~Matt
Sounds foolish to me as well. They are required by code to have at least 4 per mile and one at each transformer (NESC 096C)

add: not including the grounds at individual services

Last edited:

mxslick

Sounds like a criminally negligent POCO to me...

Missing pole grounds can have the effects described in the OP, as well as exposing the public to risk of severe shock as a wood pole, with all the dirt and treatment chemicals WILL be conductive enough to leak to ground and possibly start a fire.

Tell the POCO they have a choice: fix their grounds or you will file a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission for lack of proper maintenance of their equipment. That and possible legal remedies to recover the costs of all the damaged customer property.

Sounds foolish to me as well. They are required by code to have at least 4 per mile and one at each transformer (NESC 096C)

add: not including the grounds at individual services
My own driveby indicated there were no visible pole grounds for 1/2 mile in 1 direction from the cust site and 2 miles in the opposite direction including the transformer poles , this was true on all streets for for 3 blocks in all directions , last summer doppler radar detected in our county 20,000 strikes per hour in one storm alone . Is there any code violation or code statute that I could address with the PSC in order to bring the POCO into compliance ?

mivey

my own driveby indicated there were no visible pole grounds for 1/2 mile in 1 direction from the cust site and 2 miles in the opposite direction including the transformer poles , this was true on all streets for for 3 blocks in all directions , last summer doppler radar detected in our county 20,000 strikes per hour in one storm alone . Is there any code violation or code statute that i could address with the psc in order to bring the poco into compliance ?
NESC 096c .

Status
Not open for further replies.