Code Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Lets say you have three panels side by side. Where is it that says you can or cannot pass a branch circ. from panel A through panel B through panel C to travel to another location? All panels are same service. Box fill aside.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Just be careful in the event multi-wire branch circuits are involved, then 210.4 says you can not.

e57

It would be easier to do with a large number of circuits in a gutter - but wire space would limit it to only a few circuits if done through the panels themselves - and I do - do it from time to time with a 2" nipple bewteen the panels - sometimes even with flush panels by cutting down a rigid coupling - then butting chase nipples in it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I reread that section, where exactly does it say you cannot do what the o.p. is asking????

I "mis-assumed", I was picturing 1 circuit of a MWBC in panel "A", with another in "B"... if all conductors originate the same panel, I see no problem.

480sparky

I reread that section, where exactly does it say you cannot do what the o.p. is asking????

I am not seeing anything in 2005 against running a MWBC through panel B to get to panel A, as long as all 3 wires land in the same panel.

~Matt

X3.
HoltBlueDot.jpg

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Switch Legs from Panel

Switch Legs from Panel

As per 312.8, then, it is ok to send switch legs from panel to switch and back, then to load (light fixture) from panel in different pipe ?

This is existing pipe and by far the simplest way to solve the problem.

Co worker says no can do, I think yes. No fill problems.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As per 312.8, then, it is ok to send switch legs from panel to switch and back, then to load (light fixture) from panel in different pipe ?

This is existing pipe and by far the simplest way to solve the problem.

Co worker says no can do, I think yes. No fill problems.
If you have the hot and the switch leg in the same pipe it is ok, but if the hot is in one pipe and the switch leg in another it is not ok.

Dave58er

If you have the hot and the switch leg in the same pipe it is ok, but if the hot is in one pipe and the switch leg in another it is not ok.

I'm not sure I understand which violation you have in mind. 300.20 (A) maybe? Would that be resolved if the grounded conductor were run with the switch leg?
Also thought you may be referring to 300.3 (B). If that's it could you explain it to me, because I read it a coupla times and still don't get how it applies.:)
(again assuming neutrals and grounds with the sw lg)
Or is there another violation here I'm not seeing?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm not sure I understand which violation you have in mind. 300.20 (A) maybe? Would that be resolved if the grounded conductor were run with the switch leg?
Also thought you may be referring to 300.3 (B). If that's it could you explain it to me, because I read it a coupla times and still don't get how it applies.:)
(again assuming neutrals and grounds with the sw lg)
Or is there another violation here I'm not seeing?
300.3(B). You have to have current flowing on two wires in the raceway. That could be the hot and switch leg, the hot and neutral, or the switch leg and neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.