Box on a stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

Why didn't they put it in the ground? What's supporting that box > ?
Schedule 80 is required to exposed in that sitution! What did you answer with?

tonype

Unfortunately, the owner (actually a non-technical staff member of the developer) did not have any specific technical knowledge but was adamant that "...we received the C of O and everything is ok...".

I am planning to report to the client (prospective purchaser) that a licensed electrical contractor must ensure this was installed properly.

joebell

Wouldn't this apply?

314.23 Supports.

(E) Raceway Supported Enclosure, Without Devices, Luminaires, or Lampholders. An enclosure that does not contain a device(s) other than splicing devices or support a luminaire(s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 900 mm (3 ft) of the enclosure, or within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure if all conduit entries are on the same side.

220/221

That's one of the most stupid things I've ever seen.

They have the right box but didn't bury it.

It will be broken in two months.

IMGP5196_edited-1.jpg

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Wouldn't this apply?

314.23 Supports.

(E) Raceway Supported Enclosure, Without Devices, Luminaires, or Lampholders. An enclosure that does not contain a device(s) other than splicing devices or support a luminaire(s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 900 mm (3 ft) of the enclosure, or within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure if all conduit entries are on the same side.

I've put a couple of these in. There aren't threaded hubs to be had here. Not sure if a TA with a locknut would satisfy.

If I remember the instructions, those are to be installed surface mounted or partially buried.

Who'd want to put their name on that?

Last edited:

cadpoint

I've put a couple of these in. There aren't threaded hubs to be had here. Not sure if a TA with a locknut would satisfy.

If I remember the instructions, those are to be installed surface mounted or partially buried.

Who'd want to put their name on that?

ME ... :D;):mad::cool::roll::):grin::confused:

kwired

Electron manager
see the snow in the upper right corner of the picture? guess what happens to this box when they start piling snow where the box is located.

480sparky

see the snow in the upper right corner of the picture? guess what happens to this box when they start piling snow where the box is located.

"Box? What box? Oh, yeah, there used to be a box there, I remember now. Musta been where those grey pipes are sticking up. I wonder what it was for?........."

A-1Sparky

I think I would have mounted that box to some treated lumber and had it about 5' above ground. I also would have located it further away from the edge of the parking lot. That install is DOOMED.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
What irk's me is when someone actually buries one of those boxes, without a quazite or at least a irrigation valve box covering it. Those are hard to find under 2' of dirt!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.