Is the free online NEC gone now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

Sorry, I haven't been in this forum in a while, so this has probably already been discussed. I tried searching the forum for NEC online, but got back many unrelated threads.

So is there no longer free access to the NEC online?

Jon456

Go here http://www.nfpa.org/, join for free and you can access 05 and 08.

I've been there... I even still have my free account which I used before to access the NEC online. But I can no longer find the link to that on their site (if it's still there, they are hiding it really well). All I can find now is a link to their "NECPlus" site which is paid subscription-only access.

480sparky

The NFPA must have revamped their pages..... the Errata page is now AWOL.

Since there never was an errata put out for the '08, are we to assume it is 'perfect'?:cool:

480sparky

They used to have a single page, listing all their publications by number, and the errata that had been published for each one. Now when I go to that page, I'm told to view any errata for current and previous NFPA documents by 'choosing from this list'.

It takes me to the main NFPA-70 page, where I need to wade through so many links and pages I get lost.

So far, all I've found is a TIA and a couple FI's.

Last edited:

jumper

They used to have a single page, listing all their publications by number, and the errata that had been published for each one. Now when I go to that page, I'm told to view any errata for current and previous NFPA documents by 'choosing from this list'.

It takes me to the main NFPA-70 page, where I need to wade through so many links and pages I get lost.

So far, all I've found is a TIA and a couple FI's.

Well that explains why the OP is having such a problem.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Even with the free access and account, I believe you were allowed access to the NEC online only once. I haven't checked for it but it may be gone altogether.

Well, I was wrong. The link above this post seems to work-- maybe just for the day- who knows.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They are unlikely to remove the free access as it was put there in response to the ruling in Veeck v. Southern Building Code Congress Int'l, 241 F.3d 398 (5th Cir. 2001) as an attempt to maintain the copyrights to their standards.

e57

They are still getting used to providing it free - before it was much harder to find - as they wanted you to wade through a bunch of what they had for sale first....

A few days ago I got a survey from the NFPA - much of it was about the on-line version and if it any use to you, how/where you use it and why....

Never been fond of the Real Read.....

That said - I have a downloaded PDF of the CEC (Caliofornia Electrical Code 05 NEC with some amendments) that I use for work on my laptop - which was free... And an 05 book in the truck with the CA and SF stuff stuck in it.

The Folio veiwer 02 NEC handbook and 99 combo I got years ago worked really well - searchable - copy/paste etc. Liked it much more...

Last edited:

dana1028

Link to free copy of the 2005 NEC 0 downloadable

Link to free copy of the 2005 NEC 0 downloadable

This is the CA Bldg Stds Commission website; with a link to every CA building code - the CA Elect. Code is the 2005 NEC complete, with the addition [in italics] of various CA depart. revisions [like the Fire Marshal, etc.]

http://public.resource.org/bsc.ca.gov/index.html

You can download all of these codes, once you do you can print, edit, etc. the files.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.