Monster Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

With the 42 circuit limitation gone from the 2008 edition of the NEC, I would like to see more manufacturers have 60 space panels available for normal use.

The only place I could find a suitable panel like this was in Canada. Here is one such panel, commonly available up there.

It does not have a "UL" Listing on it, but it does have CSA approval. It is my understanding that the CSA approval should be sufficient, since UL does not have exclusive rights for product testing, listing, approval, etc.

At over $300 it is a bit pricey, but if space was at a premium, one large panel might be preferable to multiple panels as we are limited to using with what is available when needing more than 42 spaces.

Don't tell me I can use tandem breakers -- they are not available with things like GFI or AFI protection. Full-size spaces are required for these.

21270.556-QP60200_4.jpg

Last edited:

jumper

I live in VA and we are still on 05, so I have not seen any of the new larger panels. I imagine manufacturers are slow to put them out until their current supply of 42 space panels has dwindled.

PS, where in Delmarva are you? I used to live in Salisbury,MD. Ever here of Joseph House? I was a volunteer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With the 42 circuit limitation gone from the 2008 edition of the NEC, I would like to see more manufacturers have 60 space panels available for normal use.

The only place I could find a suitable panel like this was in Canada. Here is one such panel, commonly available up there.

It does not have a "UL" Listing on it, but it does have CSA approval. It is my understanding that the CSA approval should be sufficient, since UL does not have exclusive rights for product testing, listing, approval, etc.

At over $300 it is a bit pricey, but if space was at a premium, one large panel might be preferable to multiple panels as we are limited to using with what is available when needing more than 42 spaces.

Don't tell me I can use tandem breakers -- they are not available with things like GFI or AFI protection. Full-size spaces are required for these.

21270.556-QP60200_4.jpg

I think they have a package that includes 40 arc-fault breakers, a wooden mallet for wire installation and a small fan to sit on the stool in front of the panel :)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Square D makes 40/60 and 42/52 for the US market in both Homeline and QO. You would need to use some tandems to make use all of the circuits but would still have at least 20 full sizes available. Most suppliers are not stocking them because customers are not asking for them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Square D makes 40/60 and 42/52 for the US market in both Homeline and QO. You would need to use some tandems to make use all of the circuits but would still have at least 20 full sizes available. Most suppliers are not stocking them because customers are not asking for them.
Yeah, I bet when your done with that 60 circuit panel you have one mess. I hope I never have to go into one of those.

kbsparky

Square D's catalog shows a 40/60 panel, and also a 42/52. Available in both QO and Homeline series. None of them have any more than 42 spaces, even though they claim 60 circuit capacity with the use of tandems.

You can get a 40/80 panel in Canada, BTW.

cadpoint

Oh Canada... :) Yes, I see your point.

//static.schneider-electric.us/assets/digest/load-centers.pdf

I deleted the http:

Shoot them an E-mail and Ask the Wizards :)

RUWired

Square D also has the 84 circuit 84 space panelboards out. I installed 8 of them recently for a data center. These were 3 phase, i'm not sure if they come in single phase.
Rick

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone heard anything about Siemens yet? I was just thinking something around a 60 space would be nice sometimes. I'm talking standard residential grade 200 amp MB etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.