Which product or material do you dislike installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
how much does that cost?

I'm not sure but I would guess that it isn't cheap. But even with the horrible installation difficulties it's probably cheaper than RMC and wire.

EMT bender?

That might work but usually you need to pull this stuff in like wire, feeding it off of a reel. The last job I was involved with that used MI cable the horizontal portions were pulled into a cable tray.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Been awhile since I've had to install anything, but I used to really hate ceiling fans when they first became a big thing. Those old Hunters that used to weigh 100 pounds that you used to have to balance while you wired them.:roll:
and they were often missing parts or screws, we got where we had a box of misc screws and such that we'd take with us when hanging fans.

and you had to oil them, stretched out atop a ladder above expensive floor covering.

and to hang on a slope ceiling took that big round ball kit that was never on the job.

the paddle fans now take more assembly and keep changing so I have to keep figuring out how they go together, but at least they contain one each extra screw.

mxslick

Ceiling fans are one, but

ANY flexible non-metallic conduit..no matter how carefully it is secured and even when proper bend radius are observed, it is a bear to pull wire through!!

And wiremold/plugmold stinks too. :)

mxslick

K8MHZ said:
I am surprised that nobody mentioned those little green metal clips for connecting a grounding wire to a metal box.

Heck, those were easy if you know the trick I was shown using your lineman's. :grin:

Place the clip over the end of the ground pigtail, then grip the clip and wire in the end of the lineman's (the nose end, not sideways) and push it down over the edge of the box. Piece of cake. With a little practice, takes only a few seconds per clip. Faster than driving in the ground screw.

wire/plug mold is your friend

wire/plug mold is your friend

I was wiring Eckerd Drug Stores, Office Depot's, and Walgreens back when things where booming ( quite a few years ago)
I became quite proficient in the art of plug/wire mold.
I spose you can get used to anything if it's paying your bills!

220/221

Wiremold pretty much tops the list, but I have to include Carlon boxes a close second.

How can you hate something as simple and effective as a plastic nail on box?

It's inexpensive, lightweight, easy to install, non conductive and deep enough to hold wiring and dimmers. It's also easy to uninstall when doing remodel/additional work.

NolaTigaBait

How can you hate something as simple and effective as a plastic nail on box?

It's inexpensive, lightweight, easy to install, non conductive and deep enough to hold wiring and dimmers. It's also easy to uninstall when doing remodel/additional work.

I was thinking the same thing about the Carlon boxes....He must mean something else....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am surprised that nobody mentioned those little green metal clips for connecting a grounding wire to a metal box.
I never use them. I will drill and tap before I use them.

31QXQKM8ZQL._SL500_AA216_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.