Green Tip Fluorescent Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxslick

Green tip also means hard starting and shorter lifespan in a lot of older fixtures as the ballasts aren't up to igniting the lamps with lower mercury content.

Another so-called "environmentally friendly" idea that results in increased waste and consumption. :roll:

TOOL_5150

I have heard you can if they are in the original packaging:confused: What the packaging has to do with it I don't know, but thats our government at work.

Yes, I read that part, but forgot about it... You put it back in the sleeve it came in and smash it in the garbage can - Probably to keep glass pieces constrained.

Reminds me of the days I used to smash monitors and tvs in the trash can. They made such a weird noise.

~Matt

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Green tip also means hard starting and shorter lifespan in a lot of older fixtures as the ballasts aren't up to igniting the lamps with lower mercury content.

Another so-called "environmentally friendly" idea that results in increased waste and consumption. :roll:

I completely agree. They are such a huge PIA when they don't light. I end up swapping around the old silver tips in the existing working fixtures with the new green tipped ones until some random silver/green combo makes the whole fixture light. Then I put the lense back on the fixture and back away slowly making sure I don't bump anything. It's stupid.:mad:

I'm so close to only taking T8 lamps and ballasts with me anymore on service calls. Even if they're existing T12's, I'm tempted to just reballast and relamp while I'm there. They're going to have to switchover sooner or later. This way I can slowly do it a fixture at a time.....

mikkel1

green tips

green tips

Thank you everyone for replying, I googled "green tips" and found the following:
They either have less Mercury or another additive involved in the tube thats binds with the mercury to make it less dangerous. Although it's not blessed by all states they can be thrown into the general landfill as they are not considered to be highly hazardous.

Status
Not open for further replies.