Working Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

A hot summer day in a tight attic -it was about 150 degrees in there- trying to run a circuit down the wall that meets the roof. I was squeezed against the boards on top of the ceiling joists and with my head against the roof deck getting poked by the nails sticking through and my arms stretched forward as far as I could reach. I came out soaking wet, covered in dust and insulation, and nearly suffering heat exhaustion. :mad:

You pretty much described my everyday routine except our attics generally do not have insulation in them.

sd4524

The embalming room at a funeral home. It was being remodeled and was empty. Boss- "See this room, its empty. When I looked at the job to bid, it wasn't. Any problems and you are coming back to fix." It was just real uncomfortable and i didn't like touching any of the old light fixtures or even putting my tools on the floor. Smelled like formahldehide and... the concrete floors were being buffed down with two machines running at the same time. Tons of concrete dust. Breakers kept tripping from workers tools and I would have to walk down hall to panel and reset breakers. When the embalming room is empty... all the other rooms get used. As you can guess, this job had to go pretty fast and there were a lot of trades working at same time.

mivey

The embalming room at a funeral home. It was being remodeled and was empty. Boss- "See this room, its empty. When I looked at the job to bid, it wasn't. Any problems and you are coming back to fix." It was just real uncomfortable and i didn't like touching any of the old light fixtures or even putting my tools on the floor. Smelled like formahldehide and... the concrete floors were being buffed down with two machines running at the same time. Tons of concrete dust. Breakers kept tripping from workers tools and I would have to walk down hall to panel and reset breakers. When the embalming room is empty... all the other rooms get used. As you can guess, this job had to go pretty fast and there were a lot of trades working at same time.
Open scene: Embalming room. Sd4524 working on electrical device. Marty The Mortician hovering over a body on an embalming table.

[mortician mumbles while fumbling with equipment]
Sd4524: How's it going bud?
Marty: I seem to be having a little trouble. Saaaaay, is that the new De-Walt reciprocating saw? Mind if I borrow it for a minute?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Marty: I seem to be having a little trouble. Saaaaay, is that the new De-Walt reciprocating saw? Mind if I borrow it for a minute?
"Yes, I do mind, but you're welcome to use my drywall saw. In fact, you can keep it."

mxslick

Had to work on a new cinema where the help kept force-plugging the hi-bay HID temp lights into the 240 volt twistlock, the smoke from the burning ballasts and caps had me throwing up all day.

Close second was when I was working for an EC and we were doing fire damage demo and reinstall of switchgear..dirty, nasty job. My clothes and hair smelled like burnt copper and insulation for days after.

RETRAINDAILY

What was the worst working conditions you have ever experienced as an electrician?

Mine was:

Going into a lift station and replacing some float switches. Got home and burned the clothes I was wearing that day.

/ejector pit I understand!!:mad:

but the rafters of a cardboard factory is the worst!!!!:mad::mad:

yucan2

1973 in the USMC, being trained how to travel thru underground trenches while being fired upon overhead. Quickly discovered I was claustrophobic.

Years later I'm a sparky now, working under a sound stage in Hollywood. Had to scoot in on back to get to work area. Only 10" or so. Getting tight. Oh heck I'm stuck. Wedged in. Heels can't dig in enough to go back. Oh s*** I'm claustrophobic!!! Can't breathe!

After what seemed like hours yet was probably just minutes or seconds, my co-worker yells out hey you there yet or you ok or some such. All I can recall for sure is remembering him pulling on my feet one at a time to simulate some sort of sideways duck waddle as he pulled me back to the opening.

I now know that wiremen that work under stages, floors or whatever, without the head room to at least sit up and turn around should have a special place in the front of any line. :grin:

masterinbama

Flat on my back between 2 bar joists on top of a 20 ton air handler. Didn't know until that day that the air relief valves on a chilled water system sound just like a large rattlesnake. I didn't take as long to get out as it did to get in.

e57

1973 in the USMC, being trained how to travel thru underground trenches while being fired upon overhead. Quickly discovered I was claustrophobic.

On that note: Swim qualification at Boot Camp while I was in the Corps (90-94) was the worst - although I passed the first time... A DI who wanted me gone failed me and sent me to 'remedial' which meant doing it over and over again for two weeks - even a strong swimmer is at risk of drowning doing it just once.... Cold, and weighed down - swimming and being dunked for 10 hours a day...

Later - I actually was fired upon while doing electrical work - well I don't know if I was the target - but damn it was close.... Anyone who has worked butts at a range knows the sound of what I'm talking about. Anyway the rounds went past me and hit a cobra on the ground in Mogadishu.

Also I think there are few other 1141's and 2's here who have learned to get off a 40' pole the hard way...

Status
Not open for further replies.