How many RG6 in 3" EMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie4now

Anyone know conduit fill for RG6 of the top of their head?

Being low voltage, I'm thinking NEC doesn't really care, but practically speaking, with two 90s and about 80' pull.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
You need to know the diam. of the cable then its 60% fill or that might be for nipples. There is a fill per NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to know the diam. of the cable then its 60% fill or that might be for nipples. There is a fill per NEC.

As K8MHZ has already stated there are no fill limits in the NEC for this type of installation.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Right you are. I still would go at 60% and use the diam. of the wire. You could fill it up and pull it with your truck! Nothing stopping you!

e57

3" EMT - thats quite a bundle - but would suggest less for pulling ease...

Is this like that game where you guess how much money is in a bucket and you win it?

FIT - I'll say 80

PULL - I say 50..

e57

Now, if we can just find a way to fit without pulling . . . ;)
I know there are calculations for 'Jamb factor', pulling tension and side wall pressure. But IMO it would take a full bucket of lube to get 60% fill with 5 people trying to keep it all straight going in... The first bend would jamb...

Jim W in Tampa

I would be carefull. They will not take the abuse that a thhn same size would. If you damage it you start over. I would pull them thru with perhaps a #6 and tape them to it. Any hard pulling and its over. Just how many you after ?

rookie4now

Thanks for all the answers. We only need 20 but the bldg. engineer seems to think that will be a problem. I don't know what he based it on but it didn't seem like it would be a problem. I guess I'll bring him a 3" 90 and 20 cables and let him play with it.

Thanks again for all the input.

Jim W in Tampa

Thanks for all the answers. We only need 20 but the bldg. engineer seems to think that will be a problem. I don't know what he based it on but it didn't seem like it would be a problem. I guess I'll bring him a 3" 90 and 20 cables and let him play with it.

Its not about fitting it is about no damge from tentsion

e57

20!

Oh thats nothin'! A little lube... But that depends on how long a run and which direction - vertical may be an issue...

macmikeman

Me and my crew put 40 RG-6 thru about 450 ft of 4" rigid we ran in the AOA ramp side of the airport 20 years+ ago. We cut knotches in the sides of our stake bed trailer to hold lengths of conduit to support the spools and drove it out to the install site all loaded to go. To pull 40 thru 4" it wasn't all that hard, but it wasn't exactly a snap either. I don't remember if we pulled by hand or with the tugger that time. We did hundreds of similar types of stuff with fiber optic cables also at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.