Don't bury a J-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Ran into a interesting trouble shoot on a fairly new project that was original No remodel.
One circuit of a MWBC was out. I look-ed in every outlet box in the run. I took down every fixture. Opened every recpt. Pulled my hair out a few times but could not locate the problem. I knew there was one or more buried Jboxes somewhere. I knew this because there was only end runs but no juction of these end runs. Because there was a dropped drywall ceiling I suspected it in that area. one of those new camera scopes would have been nice. So I poked a hole and placed my new phone with 5 mp camera up there. and nothing. but I could see that there was a divider. So I made another small hole nothing but another small area. I poke another hole and what did I find. A J-box with the problem circuits labled on the cover. Opened it up and found wires not properly twisted in the wirenut ( stranded # 12)

6.5 hrs and drywall patch later I fixed what should have never been buried.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Good work. Some times you just know "it aint right". Most likely a home owner did the work, and thought it was correctly done.

480sparky

I'd be willing to bet that 99.99% of the electrical boxes that get buried are buried by someone who is NOT an electrician.

Legrand

Buried J-Box

Buried J-Box

Ok, so I have a question. I recently replaced a bathroom fan. When I did this the existing wire was too short, (this is between floors so no attic access), I made a J-box and set it in the space next to the fan. You would have to remove the fan to access the box but you don't have to damage any of the building finish. Was this legal or should I have cut in the box with a blank plate?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You would have to remove the fan to access the box but you don't have to damage any of the building finish. Was this legal or should I have cut in the box with a blank plate?
If there was no option, I'd probably do the same thing and not sweat it.

You can often get a bit of slack removing a staple or two.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It sounds like you need a circuit tracer....

All the circuit tracers in the world would not have traced this j-box.
It was in emt 3 feet above the drywall lid between the concrete deck and the drywall. There should have been an access panel or the J-box should have been lowered to the drywall lid. The person who did this was an Electrician. This was done at original construction by the EC workers.

The only thing that would have helped having a scope to look-into the voids. There are still at least one Jbox that needs to be located.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't think it would tell you if it was a J-box or a conduit run would it?
I knew the conduit ran through the ceiling. Just did not know where the splice was. I don't think it would have helped a bit. It would have been nice to have a scope. If the scope would have made things easier , for the amount of times that I needed to use one I woud not have paid for itself. I can usually find a buried box with a simple toner or tracer.

Status
Not open for further replies.