Which product or material do you dislike installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

3-months? Wow, that's a lot of Robroy.

What did you use for threading?

When I used to run it ('80's) I just took a R-12 die to the maching shop and had them bore it out to the OD of the Robroy. Worked great! I assume they have special tools for it now?

This was 10+ years ago, I cannot remember all of the details. I used whatever dies the boss provided.

jes25

Dude.......you gotta tell us why? :roll:

Perhaps it is because they don't have a auto-clamp wire entry and they don't have the push in device screw holes.

And they make it look like you buy your materials and the Home Depot and buying material at HD makes you look like a handy man.

PetrosA

Perhaps it is because they don't have a auto-clamp wire entry and they don't have the push in device screw holes.

And they make it look like you buy your materials and the Home Depot and buying material at HD makes you look like a handy man.

So I'm understanding that you're not against non-metallic boxes, just ones without certain specs. What kind do you use, since around here all the supply houses carry Carlon or similar boxes only. Is there a Cadillac brand of NM boxes?

360Youth

So I'm understanding that you're not against non-metallic boxes, just ones without certain specs. What kind do you use, since around here all the supply houses carry Carlon or similar boxes only. Is there a Cadillac brand of NM boxes?

I do not like the entry "clamps." I think they make for a messy box. Kinda hard to put into words. I will say that they offer a better variety that allow for more cu-in space when you need it. Problem is that it is such a poor design on the cable entry that there is too much wasted space by the time you get the wires in there. I use P&S, preferably with the quick-clip. Not so much to push-install a device, but the quick-clip works best with twirly screwdrivers.

682-6_icon.jpg

Also, outside of a few of the light boxes, I do not like anything fiberglass. I have had too many problems with device threads not holding up.

Last edited:

sii

Mounting very large c-face motors when the threaded holes in the motor are at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 & 10:30 but the mounting holes are at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mounting very large c-face motors when the threaded holes in the motor are at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 & 10:30 but the mounting holes are at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00.
Can't rotate the motor by 45 degrees?

220/221

No. Working out of a pickup or minivan and having a poor selection of tools makes you look like a handyman.

I don't think I've ever been mistaken for a handyman ;)

I use P&S, preferably with the quick-clip

On a service call once, I ran into a bad batch of those where all the steel clips broke out. I replaced about 15 boxes in that house. The receps were just hanging loose and I couldn't get any kind of screw to grab.

jes25

No. Working out of a pickup or minivan and having a poor selection of tools makes you look like a handyman.

Well that too (if you mean a pick up with an open bed), but you can not deny 99.99% of handymen shop at HD (or Lowes).

IMO having HD paraphernalia on a job is unprofessional. There motto is "you can do it we can help." It's like you went there bought some stuff and got some advice before rolling up to the job. JMO though.

On a side note I think it's totally ridiculous that you can buy electrical supplies with out a electrical license. This should be regulated. I think we all know the permit process does nothing to reduce the handyman problem.

Cold Fusion

... On a side note I think it's totally ridiculous that you can buy electrical supplies with out a electrical license. This should be regulated. ...
humm - Interesting concept. (next is spoken in a well modulated atriculate voice):
"And in conclusion, I reafirm we will support the NEW WORLD ORDER - Slingshots will be added to the prohibited mass destruction weapons list."

What else did you have in mind to restrict? LMAO - ROTF (truth - I am)

Okay that was over the top. I retract. But I bet you think it is okay to fix the brakes on your 1T and then take off down the freeway with your 5th Wheel at 20,000lbs gross and 70 mph.

cf

Last edited:

jes25

humm - Interesting concept. (next is spoken in a well modulated atriculate voice):
"And in conclusion, I reafirm we will support the NEW WORLD ORDER - Slingshots will be added to the prohibited mass destruction weapons list."

What else did you have in mind to restrict? LMAO - ROTF (truth - I am)

cf

Uhh, You can't buy HVAC products here without a license and the world seems to keep turning.

LazyS

Is it just me or do replacement ballast for wallpacks or pole lights always come bigger than the original. And being supplied with mounting brackets that will actually work is a 50-50 shot. I apologize in advance. Always open the fixture very slowly. :D

360Youth

On a side note I think it's totally ridiculous that you can buy electrical supplies with out a electrical license. This should be regulated. I think we all know the permit process does nothing to reduce the handyman problem.

Kinda difficult when, here, HO can do his/her own electrical. Do not need a license.

Besides, does that mean I cannot send my helper to buy stuff for me??

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Most Hunter ceiling fans. Seems most all their models today use the dinky rubber inserts on the mtg plate. They tear off too easily. The fans usually hang crooked and need a lot of balancing. Any ceiling damage around box further complicates the process.

Ceiling medallions, especially the oval shaped foam or plaster type 2 or 3 inches thick. Gotta have a spotter on the floor to keep it straight, use x long screws up through to the box, sometimes the bracket or dome doesn't fit properly. The proper glue can be hard to find and gluing is messy. Then another mess if customer wants to remove it later. Some of the large plastic type medallions are ok.

Chandoliers with independent support wires & brackets, especially if in combo with ceiling medallions.

Wiremold if it has to be bent much at all. Great for a straight run on a flat wall. Hard to make decent looking bends and the paint scratches easily.

Hockey pucks with screws the size of splinters or shavings. Try buying a box of these screws, IF anyone carries or can order them.

Flourescent lights with emergency ballasts. Troublesome, ballasts are high dollar. Multiple feeds needed. Much better to have frog eyes on the wall nearby.

Generators with both standard and metric hardware. Generac use to be bad for that, plus they had some odd sizes not included in all wrench/socket sets.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Most Hunter ceiling fans. Seems most all their models today use the dinky rubber inserts on the mtg plate. They tear off too easily. The fans usually hang crooked and need a lot of balancing. Any ceiling damage around box further complicates the process.

Ceiling medallions, especially the oval shaped foam or plaster type 2 or 3 inches thick. Gotta have a spotter on the floor to keep it straight, use x long screws up through to the box, sometimes the bracket or dome doesn't fit properly. The proper glue can be hard to find and gluing is messy. Then another mess if customer wants to remove it later. Some of the large plastic type medallions are ok.

Chandoliers with independent support wires & brackets, especially if in combo with ceiling medallions.

Wiremold if it has to be bent much at all. Great for a straight run on a flat wall. Hard to make decent looking bends and the paint scratches easily.

Hockey pucks with screws the size of splinters or shavings. Try buying a box of these screws, IF anyone carries or can order them.

Flourescent lights with emergency ballasts. Troublesome, ballasts are high dollar. Multiple feeds needed. Much better to have frog eyes on the wall nearby.

Generators with both standard and metric hardware. Generac use to be bad for that, plus they had some odd sizes not included in all wrench/socket sets.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is it just me or do replacement ballast for wallpacks or pole lights always come bigger than the original. And being supplied with mounting brackets that will actually work is a 50-50 shot.
Next time, take an old ballast with you when you go shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.