Training required for 'Qualified Persons'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Kool

There is an FPN: after the definition of Qualified Persons that states: "Refer to NFPA 70E -2004, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, for electrical safety training requirements"

I dont have the NFPE 70E and I cant seem to find the requirements to be considered a QUALIFIED PERSON. Can anyone help me?

What proof does the NEC require you to have to be a 'Qualified Person'??

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There is no such thing as one size fits all 'official' training.

Each company must create their own Electrical Safe Work Practices program and determine what training is needed.

NFPA 70E 110.6(A) says "They shall be trained...associated with their respective job or task assignment."

110.6(B) says "The degree of training provided shall be determined by the risk to the employee."

You need to get a copy of NFPA70E.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
That would be the person who can show on time, work a full day, and get a full weeks hours without suing you for some thing the did.

zog

There is an FPN: after the definition of Qualified Persons that states: "Refer to NFPA 70E -2004, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, for electrical safety training requirements"

I dont have the NFPE 70E and I cant seem to find the requirements to be considered a QUALIFIED PERSON. Can anyone help me?

According to the NFPA 70E, a ?Qualified Person" is one who is trained and knowledgeable of the construction and operation of the equipment or the specific work method, and be trained to recognize the hazards present with respect to that equipment or work method.

Such persons shall also be familiar with the use of the precautionary techniques, personal protective equipment, insulating and shielding materials, and insulated tools and test equipment. A person can be considered qualified with respect to certain tasks but still be unqualified for others.

An employee that is undergoing on the job training and who, in the course of such training, has demonstrated the ability to perform duties safely at his or her level of training and who is under the direct supervision of a qualified person shall be considered to be a qualified person for the performance of those duties.

In addition, to be permitted to work within the limited approach of exposed energized conductors and circuit parts the person shall be trained in all of the following:
Qualified employees shall be trained and competent in:
The skills and techniques necessary to distinguish exposed live parts from other parts of electric equipment
The skills and techniques necessary to determine the nominal voltage of exposed live parts
The minimum approach distances specified in this section corresponding to the voltages to which the qualified employee will be exposed, and,
The decision making process necessary to determine the degree and extent of the hazard and the personal protective equipment and job planning necessary to perform the task safely

A few notes to add to the 70E definition.
Only the employer can deem an employee qualified after they have had the proper training and have demonstrated profinency using the skills and method learned.

There is no such thing as NFPA 70E certification, going to a training course does not make an employee qualified.

The most misunderstood part of the "qualified" term is that it is all emcompassing, you are "qualified" to work on a specific type or piece of equipment.

Neither a J-card, a masters license, or an engineering degree make you a "qualified person"
The word "electrician" is not anywhere in the definition of a "qualified person" meaning these rules apply to all employees and you dont have to be an electrician to be "qualified"

Instead of looking to NFPA 70E, you should look to OSHA 1910 Subpart S. While the former is a Standard, the later is the LAW.

The definition of
??qualified person?? in final ? 1910.399 reads as follows:

One who has received training in and has demonstrated skills and knowledge in the construction and operation of the electric equipment and installations and the hazards involved.
Note 1 to the definition of
??qualified person:??
Whether an employee is considered to be a ??qualified person?? will depend upon various circumstances in the workplace. For example, it is possible and, in fact, likely for an individual to be considered ??qualified?? with regard to certain equipment in the workplace, but ??unqualified?? as to other equipment. (See 1910.332(b)(3) for training requirements that specifically apply to
qualified persons.)

Note 2 to the definition of
??qualified person:??
An employee who is undergoing on the-job training and who, in the course of such training, has demonstrated an ability to perform duties safely at his or her level of training and who is under the direct supervision of a qualified person is considered to be a qualified person for the performance of those duties.

OSHA usually requires written or electronic records as compliance documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.