Meter to load center

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I am bidding a house and the meter (underground feed) will be located on the exterior of the house. The panel will be about 40' away in an interior room. The house is slab on grade. Would you just use pvc and pull wire between the two? Is there a cable rated for this type of installation?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
. So no disco needed.

I think he needs to check with his inspector before he starts making assumptions....:cool:

There might a limit to the length of unfused wire allowed in homes in his area, coming out of the ground into a panel is a lot more unfused wire than a meterbase back to back to a panel.

mcclary's electrical

I think he needs to check with his inspector before he starts making assumptions....:cool:

There might a limit to the length of unfused wire allowed in homes in his area, coming out of the ground into a panel is a lot more unfused wire than a meterbase back to back to a panel.

That's why most have somewhere around a a 5' or 6' rule, to get you in the panel

Buck Parrish

That's not an assumption, the wire is outside as long as it is under 3" or more of concrete.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
That's not an assumption, the wire is outside as long as it is under 3" or more of concrete.

Did you misunderstand my post? The wire from the top of the ground(slab) up is in the house. This is an additional 2-3' of unfused wire in the home in comparison to the typical back to back cans. Saying no disco is required with this extra unfused wire in the home without checking local codes is an assumption.

Maybe you happen to know his local codes? I sure don't.

Buck Parrish

Did you misunderstand my post? The wire from the top of the ground(slab) up is in the house. This is an additional 2-3' of unfused wire in the home in comparison to the typical back to back cans. Saying no disco is required with this extra unfused wire in the home without checking local codes is an assumption.

No I understood you. Most areas allow up to 5 ;) But I agree it's not a bad ideal to check with the AHJ. This no disco and under the concrete method is common in commercial.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey All I was wondering why many of you EC's don't use Meter/Main's or Meter/Combo's.
I don't know why any would want an unfused wire running inside their home. Out in most areas in Calif you need a diconnect on the exterior for any new work. That disco needs to be adjacent to the meter. I don't see how 40' would be adjacent.

Buck Parrish

With the meter base combo. If you use any spaces besides the main. Then you would have to use a size bigger wire to your inside panel.

e57

Local codes aside - since it is an AHJ descresion - a M/M combo is still easier and in most cases cheaper... And in this case less problematic

mcclary's electrical

I'm a fan of the disco,just a preference

You can be afan of whatever you want, it's all about business.

1) You bid the job for and outside disconnect, or MM combo. That also means 310.15 b6 is out the window. So you have to run the fourth wire, and the next size up.

2) I'm gonna bid it with a free meter base, no disconnect, one less wire, and I can use 310.15 b6,,,,,,

who's gonna win the bid, preferences aside?

Status
Not open for further replies.