Seal tight fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vod-Vil

I have a Class 1 Div 2 location and want to use seal tight.The Crouse-Hinds rep. said that they do not make seal tight fittings for this application.Anyone have a source for Div 2 seal tight fittings?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Class I, Division 2 locations do not require any special fittings. If you can use the sealtight in the location, you can use the standard connectors.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Just for clarification, since sealtight is a trade name like "Scotch Tape" and can have various meanings from locality to locality, are we talking about LFMC or LFNC? It makes a difference.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just for clarification, since sealtight is a trade name like "Scotch Tape" and can have various meanings from locality to locality, are we talking about LFMC or LFNC? It makes a difference.
Bob,
That is a good point...I just assume sealtight means LFMC, because that is how the term in used around here.

Vod-Vil

Same here.We always call LFMC sealtight and we call LFNMC Carlon.

And concerning standard seal tight fittings in a class 1 div 2.I am assuming that any enclosure rated class 1 div 2 will have threaded entry points.So the seal tight connectors will thread into the enclosures rather than using the locknut.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Same here.We always call LFMC sealtight and we call LFNMC Carlon.

And concerning standard seal tight fittings in a class 1 div 2.I am assuming that any enclosure rated class 1 div 2 will have threaded entry points.So the seal tight connectors will thread into the enclosures rather than using the locknut.
Not necessarily, several types of enclosures without threaded openings are suitable for Division 2. But you did hit upon my concern - grounding/bonding. FMC/LFMC generally requires an auxiliary bonding jumper.

MattB

Do entries using a gland (compression seal type gland) going into a Cl 1 Div 2enclosure need to be threaded?

Can i just bore a hole into the bottom of this type of nclosure and use a gland and locknut?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think drilling out a rated enclosure would be a 110.3(b) violation.
Many enclosures used in Division 2 areas are not required to be explosion proof. If they are required to be explosion proof they would have to have tapped conduit entries. Some enclosures of this type are suitable for field tapping.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
The following quotation the "killer" requirement and it applies to all Class I locations whether Division 1 or 2 or Zone 0, 1 or 2. The Zone version in 505.25 says the same thing.
501.30 Grounding and Bonding, Class I, Divisions 1 and 2. Wiring and equipment in Class I, Division 1 and 2 locations shall be grounded as specified in Article 250 and in accordance with the requirements of 501.30(A) and (B).
(A) Bonding. The locknut-bushing and double-locknut types of contacts shall not be depended on for bonding purposes, but bonding jumpers with proper fittings or other approved means of bonding shall be used. Such means of bonding shall apply to all intervening raceways, fittings, boxes, enclosures, and so forth between Class I locations and the point of grounding for service equipment or point of grounding of a separately derived system.
Exception: The specific bonding means shall be required only to the nearest point where the grounded circuit conductor and the grounding electrode are connected together on the line side of the building or structure disconnecting means as specified in 250.32(B), provided the branch circuit overcurrent protection is located on the load side of the disconnecting means.
FPN: See 250.100 for additional bonding requirements in hazardous (classified) locations.
(B) Types of Equipment Grounding Conductors. Flexible metal conduit and liquidtight flexible metal conduit shall not be used as the sole ground-fault current path. Where equipment bonding jumpers are installed, they shall comply with 250.102.
Exception: In Class I, Division 2 locations, the bonding jumper shall be permitted to be deleted where all of the following conditions are met:
(1) Listed liquidtight flexible metal conduit 1.8 m (6 ft) or less in length, with fittings listed for grounding, is used.
(2) Overcurrent protection in the circuit is limited to 10 amperes or less.
(3) The load is not a power utilization load.
It doesn't require all threaded connections, but it does specificallly prohibit several other common methods and a simple locknut is one of them.

Also see 250-100. Note the reference to 250.92(B)(2) through 250.92(B)(4) is incorrect, since 250.92(B)(3) does not apply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.