romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnj12345

when installing romex sometimes you hit the romex with a hammer and it splits. I replace the whole wire am I going overboard?

480sparky

Why replace the wire when you split your hammer? :D

Visually inspect it. If it's just the sheath, you're fine. It if looks like it got the insulation, replace it.

A megger can help you dedice as well.

Charlie Bob

when installing romex sometimes you hit the romex with a hammer and it splits. I replace the whole wire am I going overboard?

I never have that happened before.
I'm assuming you're talking about hitting the romex when you nail the staples.
Sorry but i have to ask, what do you hitting with, a sledge hammer?:)

mxslick

The newer Romex sheaths are thinner and a lot more easy to cut/split. Doesn't take much at all to damage it. Even a slight mis-aim when driving a staple is enough.

I agree with 480sparky, but most inspectors will probably make you replace the damaged wire (Or install a box and splice it, which IMHO is worse than just taping up the damaged sheath, as a splice is always a weak link when compared to a solid, continuous conductor.)

TOOL_5150

Check with the MFG. I believe it is southwire that states in the sheath is damaged, and conductors are ok, a simple wrap of pvc electrical tape is a permenant fix. However, if the conductors are damaged, the run should be replaced or spliced.

~Matt

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

You must be working in some pretty cold conditions. The mfg. instructions give a minimum temp for installing nm cable.

I have not had a problem with nm cable but I had a cat 5 cable split to piece because it was so cold.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

No you are not!

If you hit it hard enough to damage the 'jacket', you probably damaged the wires also.

Now do I think that it will cause a problem? NO.

Are you doing a QUALITY JOB? Yes.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
It's not a matter of hitting the cable too hard, sometimes the edge of the hammer surface glances off the edge of the cable and causes breakage. It can happen in 90 degree weather.

In MA we're required to use insulated staples. So if I accidentally split open the jacket, I'll assess the damage, and if it's just a simple half inch cut in the outer insulation I'll put a staple right over the damage so the plastic insulator covers the hole.

electricmanscott

It's not a matter of hitting the cable too hard, sometimes the edge of the hammer surface glances off the edge of the cable and causes breakage. It can happen in 90 degree weather.

In MA we're required to use insulated staples. So if I accidentally split open the jacket, I'll assess the damage, and if it's just a simple half inch cut in the outer insulation I'll put a staple right over the damage so the plastic insulator covers the hole.

Same here. No big deal. In fact it is pretty common. I can't believe you guys that seem to have never heard of this happening. Are you serious? :confused:

macmikeman

Romex cable used in a dwelling + slight damage to sheath from hammer hit+ combination ark fault circuit breaker= sleep well, or at least you know where the problem most likely is if the breaker starts tripping.....

jwjrw

Same here. No big deal. In fact it is pretty common. I can't believe you guys that seem to have never heard of this happening. Are you serious? :confused:

I swear I have never had that happen. We DO NOT use insulated staples and I am careful not to overtighten them when installing but even when I did bang one too hard the cable has never split. Learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.