Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlietuna

I compare it to our industry in the early 90's ! Of course today's situation is more serious. The unlicensed will always be there - good times or bad. Some areas rebound much faster than others, thats a fact. And a bad economy helps flush the bad contractors out of our industry which in the long run, makes for a faster recovery overall. Just get small,cut every corner,treat your customers right and ride this out. Although everything has stopped --the need for all that "stopped work" continued to grow over these past years-- and those that survive will be very busy for years--like the ninties!

kwired

Electron manager
during slow economic times people still need service work and smaller installs. Contractors that only want to do new installs have a hard time, contractors that do all types of work just shift the majority of work to other areas, it may still be less profitable at times but they are still working.

Get into energy efficiency updating. If you can convince a customer something will pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time some will be interested in installing it, do some background work on informing them on what rebates or tax breaks they could receive from the install.

I have done some T12 to T8 lighting upgrades, I have also calculated returns on investments to be 10 years plus in some cases and informed the customer that it probably was not in their best interest. Being honest with them on things like this may get you some other job in the future.

e57

Is baseless pontificating really "electrical in nature" .

This should be closed.
I'm gonna agree solely on the basis that the economy is based on confidence. Confidence to go out and spend or build something, and confidence to charge the freekin bejesus out of them for it! - All these idiots cutting thier own throats are hanging everyone else...

So lets think happy thoughts of over-charging and too much work to even answer the phone... Maybe it too will come true....

LazyS

Lou IMO electricians commenting on economics have as much chance of being right as economists have at commenting on Article 250.

It is all a waste of bandwidth, we know nothing.

Remember, the more we learn the more we realize we do not know.

And I don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

I know my last post on this thread said I was dropping this, but I have to share just a couple more thoughts.

The most pressing problem facing humanity now is how to share scarce planetary resources in ways that are just, sustainable and support the well-being of us all.

Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist.
Kenneth Boulding, economist

http://www.neweconomics.org/sites/neweconomics.org/files/The_Great_Transition_2.pdf

I have much to say on this subject, but I do realize this is not that type of forum. I thank the mods for your tolerance of what I've posted here. I ask that each of you read the 1st 10 pages of the link I posted and give some thought to the big picture. We really are running out of time to come together as a people of the world.

LazyS

I know my last post on this thread said I was dropping this, but I have to share just a couple more thoughts.

http://www.neweconomics.org/sites/neweconomics.org/files/The_Great_Transition_2.pdf

I have much to say on this subject, but I do realize this is not that type of forum. I thank the mods for your tolerance of what I've posted here. I ask that each of you read the 1st 10 pages of the link I posted and give some thought to the big picture. We really are running out of time to come together as a people of the world.

Sounds a lot like Karl Marx to me. What the report is suggesting has already been tried. Redistribution of wealth and land is not a new concept. We tried Marxism during the Great Depression with farms and land. Whole projects of people working as "one" to achieve the greater good. It failed miserably. America in 200 years went from being a nothing to the greatest place on the earth. Ask the thousands that flock here every year. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.