Square D HOM = HOM ..... not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natfuelbilll

What is the deal with HOM breakers.

I have a HOMC panelboard but the HOMT (twin) breakers don't fit ...

What's up with this?

kwired

Electron manager
they will only fit in certain spaces and some panels will not accept them at all.

Prior to 2008 NEC there was a 42 circuit limit in a panel and panels designed to accept tandems will not accept more than 42 (max) many times less like 30 or 40 circuits if using tandems.

I don't know if we will start seeing panels that will accept more tandems or not in the future. I have not seen any yet, but may not because still on 2005 NEC here and they would not be allowed.

480sparky

Look at the model number. If it's got something like 2020, 3030 or 4040 in the model number, it's not designed for tandems.

If it has a number like 2040, 2030, or 3040 it is.

The first pair of digits is the number of spaces, the second set is the number of circuits.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Look at the model number. If it's got something like 2020, 3030 or 4040 in the model number, it's not designed for tandems.

If it has a number like 2040, 2030, or 3040 it is.

The first pair of digits is the number of spaces, the second set is the number of circuits.

that's exactly right; you can also see a difference in the buss bar of panelboards that accept tandems.

even those that will take them only do so at the bottom of the buss bar unless its a 20/40, 6/12, 12/24, etc. . . in which case they will all accept tandems.

but the tandem space will have a buss bar that's notched on the outer edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.