mop sink in elec. room

Status
Not open for further replies.
question, new credit union being built. In the electric equipment room the electricians have 3 panels installed. right next to the right panel the plumbers have a drain roughed in for a mop sink. Its actually planned on putting that right next to the panel. discussion on this, thanks.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Bob.:)

The idea that a panel is not permitted within 6' of a sink or other water source is an electrical myth that may have grown from the GFCI requirements for receptacles within 6' of a sink.

Chris

e57

I can see the pile of boxes and other detritus now.... Mop sinks invite storage of paper towels, cleaning supplies and trash. May as well paint in lines on the floor and words discouraging storage in applicable languages prior to handing the building over.

Thankfully the local codes here have wording to discouraging panels in rooms used for storage.

SF EC said:

110. 26(B). Revise this section asfollows:
(B) Clear Spaces. Working space required by
this section shall not be used for storage. When
normallly enclosed live parts are exposed for inspection
or servicing, the working space, if in a passageway or
general open space, shall be suitably guarded. The

standing area of the workspace shall be level.

nhfire77

question, new credit union being built. In the electric equipment room the electricians have 3 panels installed. right next to the right panel the plumbers have a drain roughed in for a mop sink. Its actually planned on putting that right next to the panel. discussion on this, thanks.

I've seen it several times. It is counterintuitive, it seems working clearance is the only consideration in these cases. If there is a hose and it was to be turned on and spray a panel, it could end badly.

I'm beginning to learn to say "the engineering doesn't have to make sense, just meet the minimum.". I don't agree with it but what do you do, unless you are in NC I guess.

newinspector1

The OP called it an electrical room. Also the doors going into electrical control panel rooms have to be marked Electrical Room. I would also say that the fire marshal would say if it is an electrical room or not.

iwire

Staff member
The OP called it an electrical room.

That does not make it so.

People often call generators installed at peoples homes 'emergency generators' when they are actually 'optional standby' generators.

Point being, we just do not know.:)

Also the doors going into electrical control panel rooms have to be marked Electrical Room.

Can you show me the code requiring that?

I would also say that the fire marshal would say if it is an electrical room or not.

And again I ask for a definition of electrical room. :)

newinspector1

The code for the labeling of an Electric Room comes from the 2009 NC Fire Code 605.3.1. If the room in this situation has the electrical panels in it then it is considered the electrical room.

newinspector1

There is a diffence in the situation you described and the OP. Can't say that I agree with this particular code section but it is there.

Dave58er

So, if you have a million square foot warehouse with a panel in the corner, they cannot store paper towels on pallets in the warehouse? :)

Even in this extreme scenario, if this code were enforced to the letter, wouldn't the building owner have the option of sectioning off the panel from the rest of the warehouse by building a small "electrical room" around the panel. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.