Continuously wet/damp floor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to bid a job last week where there is a floor drain in a basement. There is a condensation line that drips on the floor and meanders a puddle over to the floor drain. Owner says it is usually wet like that.

The main panel is in this basement a couple feet away from the puddle and there are other electronics/receptacles/appliances in the basement, including a washer/dryer.

Should this be considered a damp situation?

It smells like a safety hazard to me.

Charlie Bob

I went to bid a job last week where there is a floor drain in a basement. There is a condensation line that drips on the floor and meanders a puddle over to the floor drain. Owner says it is usually wet like that.

The main panel is in this basement a couple feet away from the puddle and there are other electronics/receptacles/appliances in the basement, including a washer/dryer.

Should this be considered a damp situation?

It smells like a safety hazard to me.

IMO, i believe is not a wet location per code. look at the definition of wet and damp in the NEC.
I understand your concerns, but for what you have described, i I'm not even sure this would be even consider a Damp location.
maybe somevody else think differently.

raider1

Staff member
I don't see this as anymore a damp or wet location than a drippy faucet would make a kitchen or bathroom a damp or wet location.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If what you are describing is a wet or damp location then we are in trouble. Nm cable would not be allowed in most crawl spaces.

kwired

Electron manager
the floor is the wet location the wall where the panel will be is a dry location. If this water were normally sprayed around in the room then it most likely make the entire room a wet location.

TOOL_5150

Just a small side question, A holiday light receptacle under the eve of a house, no way it could get rained on, but still in a wet location - A bubble cover is required right? Code section?

I was having a discussion with my buddy and he said it doesnt need a bubble if the recep is up under the eve... i completly disagree.

~Matt

raider1

Staff member
Just a small side question, A holiday light receptacle under the eve of a house, no way it could get rained on, but still in a wet location - A bubble cover is required right? Code section?

I was having a discussion with my buddy and he said it doesnt need a bubble if the recep is up under the eve... i completly disagree.

~Matt

I would say under the eave of a house would, or could, be a damp location and an in-use cover is not required in a damp location.

Chris

kwired

Electron manager
I always use regular indoor wall plate on a receptacle face down under the eave.

If water would happen to get in the box (condensation is likely) I want it to drain out of the box, a cover with a gasket will hold the water inside and start to deteriorate the receptacle.

A bubble cover if used would never stay closed because of a thing called gravity. I might close it if it one that has a latch to hold it closed but the next guy most likely will not close it.

TOOL_5150

A bubble cover if used would never stay closed because of a thing called gravity. I might close it if it one that has a latch to hold it closed but the next guy most likely will not close it.

If the box was mounted under the eave, but on the house - the thing called gravity would keep it shut. :roll:

~Matt

kwired

Electron manager
If the box was mounted under the eave, but on the house - the thing called gravity would keep it shut. :roll:

~Matt

Now you are in an area that is wide open to argue about which cover to use. How far down from the eave before a weather proof cover is needed?
I have seen rain during thunderstorms that flies nearly horizontal.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now you are in an area that is wide open to argue about which cover to use. How far down from the eave before a weather proof cover is needed?
I have seen rain during thunderstorms that flies nearly horizontal.
Typically, a 45-degree line is used around here.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would say under the eave of a house would, or could, be a damp location and an in-use cover is not required in a damp location.

Chris

While I might agree, I could also make the argument that 406.8 doesn't mention eaves, unless you include that in "....the like". Then you have to start figuring out how long of an eave does it have to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.